AdLib Sounds

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Wodd

AdLib Sounds

Post by Wodd »

Hello, Levellass, how are you? Have you ripped the AdLib sounds for the Keen games yet? I would still like to have copies of those.
levellass

Re: AdLib Sounds

Post by levellass »

Wodd

Post by Wodd »

That is excellent. Thank you, Levellass. Were Keen 4's AdLib sounds more difficult? I didn't see a link to them. I don't know if the Vorticon series has AdLib sounds. I think that Keen Dreams does, though. But, you might be working on either improving KeenWave or a replacement project. I don't know. That might be part of why Keen 4's sounds are not present.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I already extracted Keen 4's adlib sounds, they're here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8pff0mmux6k1 ... b.zip?dl=0

Vorticons does not have adlib sounds just the PC ones, which have been extracted for all episodes. The only real thing remaining is Keen Dream's sounds, which are in fact a little tricky to extract.
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

levellass wrote:I already extracted Keen 4's adlib sounds, they're here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8pff0mmux6k1 ... b.zip?dl=0
It had been so long that we had communicated that I had forgotten about that.
That means that, unless:
  • Keen Dreams does not have the same number of AdLib sounds as it does PC Speaker sounds,
  • my math is incorrect, or
  • both of the above are true,
there is a total of 537 sound effects for the official Commander Keen series. It looks like 537 is not a prime number. That is a bummer. If the Vorticons series did have AdLib sounds, unless any of the items in the list above are true with respect to those, the quantity would have been 666.
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

I don't mean to bother you, Levellass. But, if I don't:
  1. you won't know that I am still interested in getting the remaining sounds.
  2. I won't know if you have managed to extract them, since you mentioned that they are tougher to extract than were the others.
Is the general rule of thumb not "You won't know until you ask questions."? It made sense to not post during the past approximately 2 weeks because of the "holiday season," but, New Year's Day has come and gone. Since 537 is not prime, what I might do is combine the music and the sound effects, as I have done with some of my other audio compilations. Of course, because Keen Dreams has no music, its sound effects would not be preceded by music. I suppose that, based on what I have read, I could precede those by "You've Got to Eat Your Vegetables!" But, I don't know how often that would have been used in the game. Some games have a single music track that plays through the entire game, while others have many music tracks that play, where even a single level might have 2 or more of them. I think that it is easier to not go the route of adding the sound effects in with the music. I will simply wait for the AdLib sounds from Keen Dreams and continue from there.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Is this .wav file any help, along with this list?

Code: Select all

KEENWALK1
KEENWALK2
JUMP
LAND
THROW
DIVE
GETPOWER
GETPOINTS
GETBOMB
FLOWERPOWER
UNFLOWERPOWER
ENTERLEVEL
WAKEUP
LEVELDONE
NOWAY
HITHEAD
TATERSWING
BOUNCE
EXTRAKEEN
OPENDOOR
THROWBOMB
BOMBBOOM
BOOBUSGONE
GETKEY
GRAPESCREAM
PLUMMET
CLICK
TICK
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

Thank you for the reply, Malvineous. It appears to be all sounds. That is good. Manual extraction is not preferred; but, I did it with One Must Fall: 2097's sound effects. It was tedious and I don't think that I got all of the frequencies correct. But, it seems that Keen Dreams' sound effects might all be at the same frequency. That eliminates that step. I might also skip those. Doing this reduces the sound quantity from 537 to 509 — a prime number. Also, trimming each to the proper length might prove challenging.
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

I am curious. I did not seem to hear the sound of a mimrock landing. Was that somehow missed in the extraction? Is it a duplicate or variation of a sound that is present in the set?
levellass

Post by levellass »

It is the same sound as Keen's head hitting a ceiling, usually happening several times in quick succession. So the remaining sounds you need are just Keen Dreams, yes?
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

Thank you for the reply, Levellass.
levellass wrote:It is the same sound as Keen's head hitting a ceiling
Ah, do you happen to remember what sound that is? I don't remember hearing it. Here is what I can come up with.
  • sound 0: Keen walking 1
  • sound 1: Keen walking 2
  • sound 2: Keen jumping
  • sound 3: possibly Keen's head hitting a ceiling (though, the PC Speaker sound doesn't seem to match that of the mimrock)
  • sound 4: a sprite shooting
  • sound 5: unknown sound that seems similar to that of Keen entering Three-Tooth Lake
  • sound 6: possibly Keen breathing underwater
  • sound 7: Keen's pogo stick bouncing
  • sound 8: Keen collecting a “minor” item (candy, ice cream, soda, and the like)
  • sound 9: Keen collecting a neural stunner
  • sound 10: Keen collecting a water droplet
  • sound 11: unknown, but appears to be a deactivation sound of some kind (perhaps deactivation of the Quantum Explosion Dynamo)
  • sound 12: starting a level
  • sound 13: ending a level
  • sound 14: invalid action / Keen informing the player that he cannot swim without the wetsuit
  • sound 15: unknown sound (again, possibly Keen's head hitting the ceiling, but, there are many similar sounds, so distinguishing them is difficult) (Also, the PC Speaker sound seems similar to that of the mimrock's; but, its frequency is lower. When I attempted to match the mimrock's frequency, I was unsuccessful.)
  • sound 16: possibly Keen landing on a surface after falling or jumping
  • sound 17: Keen collecting a lifewater flask
  • sound 18: a gate opening
  • sound 19: Keen collecting a key
  • sound 20: Keen falling
  • sound 21: Keen flipping a switch
  • sound 22: a skypest falling victim to Keen's pogo stick — ouch
  • sound 23: Keen dying — ugh
  • sound 24: what seems to be an explosion sound, again, possibly on the Quantum Explosion Dynamo
  • sound 25: an unknown sound that resembles that of Blooguards' clubs hitting a surface
  • sound 26: Keen swimming
  • sound 27: Keen entering Three-Tooth Lake (?)
  • sound 28: possibly a bounder bouncing
  • sound 29: a treasure eater laughing
  • sound 30: a treasure eater disappearing (?)
  • sound 31: Keen speaking with a council member
  • sound 32: a lick doing what it does best, licking Keen — ouch
  • sound 33: a berkeloid releasing fire
  • sound 34: a menu appearing
  • sound 35: a menu disappearing
  • sound 36: Keen blowing bubbles in the Well of Wishes
  • sound 37: a mine exploding
  • sound 38: an unknown sound that seems like it might be related to mines or sprites
  • sound 39: thundercloud “suffering a voltage drop”
  • sound 40: a berkeloid's fire hitting a surface
  • sound 41: a dart gun shooting
  • sound 42: a dopefish “burping” after its “school ‘lunch break’”
  • sound 43: a flag appearing after completion of a level
  • sound 44: possibly a flag landing on its post
  • sound 45: Keen speaking with Princess Lindsey
  • sound 46: a poison slug doing what it does best — pooping on the floor and getting what a friend and I call an “empty combo”
  • sounds 47-51: unknown sounds
levellass wrote:So the remaining sounds you need are just Keen Dreams, yes?
That is correct.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The KeenWiki has a list of identified sounds (And patches to change them) for all episodes here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:S ... fic_sounds

The list is not complete but pretty through. Note that sound values are in hexadecimal.
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

Thank you for the reply and the information, Levellass. It seems that sound 15 is the sound that I was looking for. But, the pitch (at least for the PC Speaker sound) does not seem to match that of the sound played within the game. The sound played in the game plays at a higher pitch. Sound 15 is one of the sounds that I had figured might be that sound. But, I was uncertain, especially since the frequency does not match that of the sound played within the game (again, for at least the PC Speaker sound). But, it could also be a case like some others that I have read about in the past, wherein the sound effects are played at a different frequency within the game than those at which the original files were designed. Also, take as much time as you need to figure out how to extract the AdLib sounds from Keen Dreams. I will continue to wait for them. They are the only sounds left to have extracted. I will then be able to update a document that I am currently working on in which I have a referential marker for both the music and the sound effects from the series. Perhaps, with all 537 sounds, the wrapping point for the document will be when a poison slug poops on the floor or when Keen's pogo stick bounces off the ground. If my math proves correct, it looks like it will be the sound of a blooguard's club hitting the ground.
Wodd

Post by Wodd »

Levellass, have you extracted the AdLib sounds for Keen Dreams. I don’t mean to be a bother to you so much. But, I would still like those sound clips for the purpose of completing the set.