About removing the MODDING: PATCHES section

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Nisaba

About removing the MODDING: PATCHES section

Post by Nisaba »

Dear residents of the keenmodding board,

I'd like to ask for your opinion concerning the layout of this very board!
We have a MODDING: VORTICONS/GALAXY section where one can request/ask for patching help. And then there is this section where one can find an easy-access index of completed patches in the MODDING: PATCHES subcategory.

since this section gets no longer updated (in fact many patches are outdated or incomplete) and nearly all of the new patches are now located on a detailed section on the KeenWiki, I'd vote for removing the MODDING: PATCHES section entirely.
instead we should just have an external link to browse the KeenWiki's library of patches and patching information. In other words: this board is for modding requests and discussions related stuff, the wiki for listing and preserving the results of this conversations.

(I remember my early modding steps and being confused by the structure of this board...)

What's your opinion on this?
pros/cons?!
troublesomekeen

Re: About removing the MODDING: PATCHES section

Post by troublesomekeen »

Makes sense to me, except sometimes I have the need to read through a szemi patch request topic and cherry pick the patches I need. I remember reading it so I know exactly where to find it. Key words. So once in a while I do find these old topics useful.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

(I'm not quite sure if I'm cross-purposes with you...)
I do vote for keeping the request / discussion section. but I want to remove the patch collecting section down below since it is fragmentary, to say the least.
but your objection could get merged with my proposal like so:

• MODDING: PATCHES
    • Patches on KeenWiki
      Browse KeenWiki's library of patches and patching information.
    • Outdated/non-up-to-date patch collection
      Browse former patching results etc (we should talk about how to name this headline)
      • Patches: Marooned on Mars
      • Patches: The Earth Explodes
      • Patches: Keen Must Die!
      • Patches: Secret of the Oracle
      • Patches: The Armageddon Machine
      • Patches: Aliens ate my Babysitter!
      • Patches: Keen Dreams
I think this could clean up the structure of this board and at the same time prevent misunderstandings where to find what kind of information. what do you think about this?!

ps.: just to make things a bit more clear: the Keen6 patch section on this forum got the latest update in 2011 (https://keenmodding.org/viewforum.php?f=23). but ever since then a lot of new stuff got revealed. for e.g. the Keen 6 map items section on the wiki was updated multiple times, lastly in 2016‎ (http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Keen_6_map_items).
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

no further suggestions?
I take it as an implicit approval. @Fleexy it seems like the community has no complains about this step. I'd suggest do re-organize the structure of the main page like discussed in my last post.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Pretty much. It's all cool with me at least.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

@Fleexy (do I have to quote you to trigger the notification thing?!)
Fleexy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm
so, let's do it!