Can't Save on my Computer

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Abashi76

Can't Save on my Computer

Post by Abashi76 »

Error Saving!

It's possible that some files were partially saved and may be corrupted. Save before closing to ensure consistent data.
I tried saving many times after i named all my maps and configured everything. I havn't made any maps yet, i don't want to do that until after i first successfully save.

EDIT : I am using Abiathar. I am editing for Keen 4 and my settings are on default, and i am using the original graphics and i moved the original maps to maps 33-50.
Last edited by Abashi76 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Re: Can't Save on my Computer

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to Keen Modding!

I assume this error comes from Abiathar. Could you please tell me which episode you are trying to mod and what settings you chose in the New Project Wizard? Also, what is the path of the folder you are saving in? It's possible that special characters might be causing trouble.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

Fleexy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:26 pm Welcome to Keen Modding!

I assume this error comes from Abiathar. Could you please tell me which episode you are trying to mod and what settings you chose in the New Project Wizard? Also, what is the path of the folder you are saving in? It's possible that special characters might be causing trouble.
Yes, Abiathar. I am making a custom mod for Keen 4. I am using the default mod setting. The path folder i am saving in is in the same on as the exe for Abiathar.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Hmm, the default settings work for me, even after moving the levels around. Does the same error occur if you just create a new project and save immediately? If you have a project open that you don't want to close, you can launch a new copy of Abiathar to test. Also, what specifically is the path where Abiathar is stored? If it contains personal information (like a name), are there any non-ASCII character sets involved (e.g. Hungarian)? If so, you might try saving in a path that doesn't include such characters. Abiathar will warn you about the directories being different, but that's OK if you haven't linked any custom graphics files yet.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

Fleexy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:07 pm Hmm, the default settings work for me, even after moving the levels around. Does the same error occur if you just create a new project and save immediately? If you have a project open that you don't want to close, you can launch a new copy of Abiathar to test. Also, what specifically is the path where Abiathar is stored? If it contains personal information (like a name), are there any non-ASCII character sets involved (e.g. Hungarian)? If so, you might try saving in a path that doesn't include such characters. Abiathar will warn you about the directories being different, but that's OK if you haven't linked any custom graphics files yet.
I did save it after i made it. But it won't save again. I always loose most of my data if i quit and load it up again. The path is to the Abiathar folder where the exe is and its in my Keen4 folder.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I'm sorry, I'm still not able to reproduce this problem. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, so I'll ask a few more questions that might help. Did you happen to change the names of any of the levels? What is your operating system version (e.g. Windows 7)? Starting fresh, does the error occur if you just move one level? Does the error occur if you only change a tile or two and don't shuffle the levels at all? Have the folder's security settings been changed at all?

What is the full path to your Abiathar folder? For example, my Keen 4 files are in C:\Users\Ben\Documents\CK\Keen4. Please try making a new project in a different folder (maybe one whose path doesn't include any special characters) to see if that works.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

I think I also had this problem while using the very first editions of Abiathar.
Maybe your copy is out of date?
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

I think I also had this problem while using the very first editions of Abiathar.
Maybe your copy is out of date?
I updated it before i started.

Did you happen to change the names of any of the levels?
I added new levels as maps 0-32 , with maps 0 being Shadowlands, map 31 being the rocket from the orginal game, and map 32 being the credits from the original game. I moved all the original maps from 33-50.
What is your operating system version (e.g. Windows 7)?
Windows 10, and i never tried it on any other OS.
does the error occur if you just move one level? Does the error occur if you only change a tile or two and don't shuffle the levels at all? Have the folder's security settings been changed at all?
The error occurs the second time i save. The first time i save is when i name the mod. When i make anything with the editor and try to save, the error occurs and it doesn't save.
What is the full path to your Abiathar folder? For example, my Keen 4 files are in C:\Users\Ben\Documents\CK\Keen4. Please try making a new project in a different folder (maybe one whose path doesn't include any special characters) to see if that works.
C:\DosGames\KEEN4\Abiathar
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Very interesting. I am still unable to reproduce the problem on my computer. The next version of Abiathar (to be released within a couple days) will have logging for this procedure so I'll be able to see what exactly is going wrong. In the meantime, please test with this workspace I set up for you. Just tweak a tile or two, try saving, tweak another tile or so if it works, and try saving again.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

There's a new version of Abiathar out that adds logging here. Please try again, and if the saving fails, upload the log file's contents to PasteBin or some similar service. Also, if you have access to any other computers, you might test on those to see if anything different happens. Another question: what language of Windows is installed on your machine? I'm not seeing anything language-dependent in the saving code, but it's conceivable that localization is causing something weird somewhere.