Map too tall -Abiathar Error (?)

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Electrosmog

Map too tall -Abiathar Error (?)

Post by Electrosmog »

Greetings,

so I was using an existing tileinfo and graphics originally from the game Ck6.1.4. in Abiathar. Replacing tiles and stuff.

The file is being saved in the same folder where I keep my modding data. Then I generated the patches in Abiathar, this worked quite good,
no errors so far.
When I started the game (with play.bat) the menu showed up as normal. I've selected a new game in normal mode, suddenly a command prompt occurs, saying:
"RF_NewMap: Map too tall!"

Then, I started up Abiathar's Level Inspector and it reported the usual inspection results from the ck6 worldmap (so far I believe)- like, for example: "infoplane value over animating tile".
Anyways, this warnings were found on places where I didn't changed the tiles.

What I've changed in the worldmap is that there are now two of these "satellite thingis" that use to carry Commander Keen to the "Blooglabs" Level. The new "satellite" has a normal arrow route with a hop point located next to the "Bloogwaters crossing" Level, dropping Keen by "Bloogfoods Inc.".
I didn't change the size of the map at all.

I know that these errors usually occur in TED5... but now in Abiathar?

However, praise Fleexy for this program and keeping us up-to-date! Abiathar is pretty fun and easy to use, so I'd recommend it to everyone who's new to modding Keen. (Me included as well :P)

Thanks for your help,
ca bro's
Fleexy
Site Admin

Re: Map too tall -Abiathar Error (?)

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to Keen Modding!

This error is produced by the game when it thinks a level is taller than 128 tiles. When the level isn't actually too tall, this error indicates that the MAPHEAD doesn't match the GAMEMAPS, like when the game is run without patching so that the GAMEMAPS file doesn't correspond to the internal MAPHEAD. (The error is frequently associated with TED5 because that editor's workflow makes it tricky to get everything lined up right.)

I'm unable to reproduce the issue on a fresh copy of Keen 6 v1.4 EGA with Abiathar v2.8.8. For reference, my CK6PATCH.EXE is 18,400 bytes and my Keen6.exe is 107,719 bytes, then 271,696 bytes decompressed. Modern CKPatch can handle non-UNLZEXE'd game EXEs, but maybe try UNLZEXE'ing it just in case. Also double-check that your updated GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD are together in the game's folder. If everything looks right, could you please post the contents of the generated play.bat and abiathar.pat? You could also upload your entire project folder to a file sharing site like Dropbox or OneDrive. Thanks!

P.S. Unfortunately, strange things might happen if you have multiple satellites in the same level - when I tested it, I got teleported to the first dropoff point instead of disembarking at the new one.
Matas

Re: Map too tall -Abiathar Error (?)

Post by Matas »

When I got this error I fixed it by making the map smaller.