Help! DOSBOX doesn't run batchfile

Anything related to Keen Modding.
DYINGFORSPRITE

Help! DOSBOX doesn't run batchfile

Post by DYINGFORSPRITE »

Hello dear Keeners,

I stuck with the test run for my keen mod.

According to Ceilicks modding tutorial http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick) , I did exact the same like in his description:
quote:
"1. create a new .txt file called mymod. Open the file and save as mymod.pat and make sure you select all files in the Save as type section.(...)
2. To create a batch file, first create a new text document and name it (...) In this example we'll name it "Play". In the text file, type:
ck4patch mymod.pat

3. Now, go to file and save as Play.bat and make sure you select all files in the Save as type section.
Run Play.bat to make sure your mod is working.(...)"

When I drop the Play.bat on Dosbox, it tells me "Error: mymod.pat:1:0: First command must be %ext"
Is there maybe something I have to type into Dosbox first? Or do I have to write the "first command" into one of the txt files?

In my modding Folder in C-Drive, there is:
-a Graphics folder
-Audio.CK6
-Egagraph.Ck6
-Egahead.Ck6
-Gamemaps.Ck6
-Config.Ck6
-Story.Ck6
-Ck6Patch
-Cwsdpmi
-Keen6.exe (version 1.4.)
-Keen6.pat
-Keengraph
-modkeen
-mymod.txt
-mymod.pat
-Play.bat
-Play.txt
-ck6load.bin
-keenscr.bin

Thank you,
and keep up the commander keen cult!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Re: Help! DOSBOX doesn't run batchfile

Post by Fleexy »

Make sure that your mymod.pat file is a valid patch file. Especially check that the first %command is indeed %ext. If everything looks as it should but the game still won't start, could you please paste the contents of mymod.pat here? Thanks!

Possibly self-promoting tip: Abiathar can handle the patch file and batch file for you - just use the Generate Patches item under File.
Nisaba

Re: Help! DOSBOX doesn't run batchfile

Post by Nisaba »

hey there,

(thanks again for your detailed post.)
your error is actually caused by an incomplete information written in that section of the tutorial.
EDIT: depending on your ModKeen version it may or may mot create a Keen4.pat file for you. in your case it seems that you had to create this patchfile from scratch. you want to make sure to include the following lines into your patch file, instead of leaving it blank!

Code: Select all

%ext ck6

# the version info is optional
%version 1.4

# Load the modified graphics
%egahead EGAHEAD.CK6

%end
I'm gonna fix that tutorial section asap.
EDIT: section got fixed! check it: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... Batch_File
in the meantime you could also try to use the Abiathar solution provided by Fleex.