switching door links

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Bubzrulz

switching door links

Post by Bubzrulz »

ok here is what im trying to do have a door that switches to a different door (done that) now how do i get it to switch the links is it even possible here is my "test level" that i try different things in

Last edited by Bubzrulz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
levellass

Re: switching door links

Post by levellass »

What are you trying to do? Do you want a door that can be switched 'on' so that it takes the player to another door instead of the one it usually does?
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

levellass wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:51 pm What are you trying to do? Do you want a door that can be switched 'on' so that it takes the player to another door instead of the one it usually does?
yes exactly what im trying to do
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

random doors?
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:45 pmrandom doors?
yes some doors
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

I have never heard of such a thing, but it's a cool idea.

If the door link was tied to bridge switchable tiles, you could have selectable locations.
levellass

Post by levellass »

That's tricky, real tricky.

If you have a moving platform switch pointing to the door location it will 'switch' it in a tricky way that will let you 'flip' the door between two locations.

If you're not using the moon tile or any of the map stuff it might be possible to patch up some sort of 'hidden checkpoints' that are activated silently whenever the player passes them setting the 'switchable' door to whatever value you put there. In that case the player would be secretly swapping around where they end up without even knowing it. It'd take a bit of patching though.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

levellass wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 am That's tricky, real tricky.

If you have a moving platform switch pointing to the door location it will 'switch' it in a tricky way that will let you 'flip' the door between two locations.

If you're not using the moon tile or any of the map stuff it might be possible to patch up some sort of 'hidden checkpoints' that are activated silently whenever the player passes them setting the 'switchable' door to whatever value you put there. In that case the player would be secretly swapping around where they end up without even knowing it. It'd take a bit of patching though.
yeah not using any of that not in a real hurry either
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

so played around with the code here PATCH once levelass explained it abit better to me or maybe abit more awake then the 1st time i tried from keenwiki a little while ago

and i got the door to switch and work remember this is my "test level" only use it t try things so i dont stuff up other levels in my mod

and turned the k5 door into flick switch and it opens

but now i have to fix other levels that have gem doors because it uses tiles from the level

1st level moded to use this way for normal gem doors

levellass

Post by levellass »

Given a little time to write up something I can make it so that you have BOTH gem doors AND these switching doors in your mod, this would make levels more interesting. It would use up the Moon-tile; if you had one ABOVE the gem holder it would be a special door, otherwise it would be a normal gem door. Does that sound cool?
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

yes please that cool as and alot better then just having one type in a level
RobLazo

Post by RobLazo »

troublesomekeen wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:20 am I have never heard of such a thing, but it's a cool idea.

If the door link was tied to bridge switchable tiles, you could have selectable locations.
Selectable locations would be amazing. I will try and figure out how to do this.
Last edited by RobLazo on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

RobLazo wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am
troublesomekeen wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:20 am I have never heard of such a thing, but it's a cool idea.

Selectable locations would be amazing. I will try and figure out how to do this.
patch is here to do it

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2793#p21481
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

levellass wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:43 am Given a little time to write up something I can make it so that you have BOTH gem doors AND these switching doors in your mod, this would make levels more interesting. It would use up the Moon-tile; if you had one ABOVE the gem holder it would be a special door, otherwise it would be a normal gem door. Does that sound cool?
been a while (missus had kid no3 so not much time) time to get back into moding any progress on this patch
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

ok been working on doorlinks and alike this is just a quick level showcasing it Download it here to play