beginning of my mod "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Bubzrulz

beginning of my mod "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last

Post by Bubzrulz »

A little demo of my 1st mod in the works "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last (one level done and last level need some more work 2level demo) hope you all enjoy it .. any advise is welcome https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn8vbgu074ia1hx/CKB.zip?dl=0

story is there was one last oracle council member that Commander keen needs to rescue

cheers bubsy
Nisaba

Re: beginning of my mod "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last

Post by Nisaba »

oh, I like the style of your last level (save the oracle). the blueish colouring looks quite nice. There is definitely some potential, even though a bit of work needs to be done.
it is good see how fast you are making progress. of course there is a lot to cover, but from what I can see here, you show us some really neat ideas.

the first level (watch your step) is a very huge level. because of its many doors, it becomes a bit confusing. especially for an opening level, this is a bit too much.
think about it this way: the first level should give the player an idea, what the particular game/mod will be about. it shows of the style, the mood. the player should get some orientation of what to expect next. therefor the difficulty should be reduce as much as possible. later on, in following levels, the difficulty and complexity may rise, but not at the very beginning.
Ceilick wrote:The first level shall not contain key gem doors, more than one switch, or regular doors unless they lead to optional areas.
First levels in Commander Keen are traditionally the easiest in each episode. Keep with this tradition to help familiarize your audience with what your game looks like and how it plays so that they are not overwhelmed right away.
before continuing with these things, I'd like to point out something else:
  • within the infoplane there is also a keen sprite facing to the left. choose this one instead.
  • some blocking wall tiles are missing. Keen can drop out of this room.
  • this separator prevents reaching some level areas (Keen needs to search them blindfolded). you wanna delete this one over here. if you want to check the effect I'm talking about, navigate Keen on the top level to the very left hand side. the separator is blocking your view over there...
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

Ceilick wrote:The first level shall not contain key gem doors, more than one switch, or regular doors unless they lead to optional areas.
First levels in Commander Keen are traditionally the easiest in each episode. Keep with this tradition to help familiarize your audience with what your
game looks like and how it plays so that they are not overwhelmed right away.
yes i agree too "watch your step" wont be the 1st level probably somewhere in the middle

some blocking wall tiles are missing. Keen can drop out of this room.
ahh yes i did try thses must of been a much around with level i didn't save dohh cheers for feedback and all your help so far
levellass

Post by levellass »

Something I find really useful is to make the F10-Y cheat work in Ken 4, which involves replacing line 7 of graphics in the Keen 4 masked tiles with that from Keen 5 (This is the row of red and yellow line tiles.) Then when you press F10-Y in the game the game shows you all the was the tiles block you, so you can easily see tile problems.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote:

[*]this separator prevents reaching some level areas (Keen needs to search them blindfolded). you wanna delete this one over here. if you want to check the effect I'm talking about, navigate Keen on the top level to the very left hand side. the separator is blocking your view over there...
Image[/list]

When i tried the separater it make that whole side unseeable even on the ontop of ground
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

Bubzrulz wrote:When i tried the separater it make that whole side unseeable even on the ontop of ground
yip, the separator works just horizontally or vertically. if you want to separate a certain area of the level from the rest, you also need to move everything. just take a look at the level design of the K4's Perilous Pit. In this case in-room areas are placed beneath the rest of the level. otherwise you cannot separate them without having effects you recently came across.
shikadi.net/keenwiki/The_Perilous_Pit
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

2 more levels pretty much complete

and

levellass

Post by levellass »

Interesting, interesting. I can see you slowly developing.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

ok another level getting there but feels like its missing something any input welcome

Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

here is the level now .. have to fix some tile properties or change some tiles

levellass

Post by levellass »

A big thing is 'eye candy'; these are tiles that are decoration. A lot of your levels look quite empty, they have no random eye candy to break them up. If you look at Keen 4 you will see that it has certain things; rocks for example and signs. Just small things that don't do anything but make things look more colorful.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

levellass wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:54 pm A big thing is 'eye candy'; these are tiles that are decoration. A lot of your levels look quite empty, they have no random eye candy to break them up. If you look at Keen 4 you will see that it has certain things; rocks for example and signs. Just small things that don't do anything but make things look more colorful.
AHH yes yes

Now been working on keys here is how that turned out pretty good i think moded the dreams sprite

levellass

Post by levellass »

This is looking better and better. I would suggest adding some brown or light red on your red-yellow ground, to ix the two contrasting colors a bit better than they are.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

thank you to Zilem for finishing off XkyRauh's keen sprites a few months ago they look great and finally ive imported them into the game Image
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

after around 3 or so year hiatus i'm back working on this
Last edited by Bubzrulz on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.