re: using Ted5 on Bio Menace

Anything related to Keen Modding.
reble

Post by reble »

I tried to use the same wizard to build the dependency file for Bio Menace 3. Everything went fine by changing the extension from bm2 to bm3 until I got to the end. And I got the following error message "error processing dependency file" Everything should be the same for bm1, bm2 and bm3. Right?

Steve
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

It worked for me; are you sure you put all the right files in? Also, I've heard that TED5 does some strange stuff to the map files, so you might try it on a clean copy of Bio Menace.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Wouldn't it be nice if Abiathar could somehow report the specific bug it encountered so it could be sent to Fleex?
reble

Post by reble »

yep, I agree.
levellass wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if Abiathar could somehow report the specific bug it encountered so it could be sent to Fleex?
reble

Post by reble »

I did it 2 times on both Bio Menace 1 and 3 and I get the same error message. I also tried putting each of the bm1, bm2 and bm3 in separate sub dir's. Still the same error message. I will try wipping out Bio Menace completely and reinstall from the backup cd. Everything I have installed is backed up in one form or an other. I learned that lesson the hard way.
Fleexy wrote:It worked for me; are you sure you put all the right files in? Also, I've heard that TED5 does some strange stuff to the map files, so you might try it on a clean copy of Bio Menace.
Steve
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Well, it certainly works for me (image proof). I will work on a specific error reporting mechanism for that section of code; it shouldn't be terribly difficult to code up. Until then, make sure that you are using all .BM3 files (especially for GFXINFOE). If you have a different version of Bio Menace than I do, you might try loading the MAPTHEAD in the Tile Partitioning window (not Level Format), but it should have no effect. And, of course, make sure you have the most recent beta version; the bottom-left should say Abiathar v1.5b2.
reble

Post by reble »

The instructions you gave me before only work for BM2. The instructions still won't work for BM1 or BM3. I wiped out BM completly and reinstalled off the cd. That didn't work. I d/l the latest copy of Abiathar. That didn't work ether. I keep getting the same error message "error processing dependency file" except on BM2. There has to be something unique to BM1 and BM3 that is diffrent from BM2
PS I followed every screen in the instrections to the letter other then changing the BM2 to ether BM1 or BM3.

Steve

Fleexy wrote:Well, it certainly works for me (image proof). I will work on a specific error reporting mechanism for that section of code; it shouldn't be terribly difficult to code up. Until then, make sure that you are using all .BM3 files (especially for GFXINFOE). If you have a different version of Bio Menace than I do, you might try loading the MAPTHEAD in the Tile Partitioning window (not Level Format), but it should have no effect. And, of course, make sure you have the most recent beta version; the bottom-left should say Abiathar v1.5b2.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

OK, I ran some static code analysis and discovered a possible source of ObjectDisposedException when opening non-Carmackized maps on 32-bit computers or computers with low RAM. This version also contains many performance improvements and also a slimmer executable.

Download Abiathar v1.5 beta 3
This is still a beta version and bugs may still remain. Please save often and keep frequent back-ups of your work.

A bug has been fixed in the New Project Wizard that produced wrong values in the Tile Partitioning stage. I now recommend that you use From MAPTHEAD to get the infoplane length. In addition, this version adds an error report generator for dependency file processing. If you receive that error again here, choose Yes to generate the report. Send me the resulting ADEAD or open it in Notepad and paste it in a reply. By generating an error report you authorize Abiathar to collect the following information:
  • Your computer's date and time
  • The processing stage at which the error occurred
  • A list of files of possibly relevant files on your computer, their sizes, and MD5 hash
  • Stack trace of the .NET virtual machine at the time of the error
  • Names, versions, and authors of any Abiathar extensions you have installed
  • The dependency file that caused the error
Fleexy
reble

Post by reble »

I am still getting the error message on BM1. Here is a dropbox link to the error report. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad0sh87pk38um ... report.txt . This should solve the problem.

Steve
Fleexy wrote:OK, I ran some static code analysis and discovered a possible source of ObjectDisposedException when opening non-Carmackized maps on 32-bit computers or computers with low RAM. This version also contains many performance improvements and also a slimmer executable.

Download Abiathar v1.5 beta 3
This is still a beta version and bugs may still remain. Please save often and keep frequent back-ups of your work.

A bug has been fixed in the New Project Wizard that produced wrong values in the Tile Partitioning stage. I now recommend that you use From MAPTHEAD to get the infoplane length. In addition, this version adds an error report generator for dependency file processing. If you receive that error again here, choose Yes to generate the report. Send me the resulting ADEAD or open it in Notepad and paste it in a reply. By generating an error report you authorize Abiathar to collect the following information:
  • Your computer's date and time
  • The processing stage at which the error occurred
  • A list of files of possibly relevant files on your computer, their sizes, and MD5 hash
  • Stack trace of the .NET virtual machine at the time of the error
  • Names, versions, and authors of any Abiathar extensions you have installed
  • The dependency file that caused the error
Fleexy
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Aha! I have found the issue! It seems you followed my instructions perfectly... too perfectly, haha. I did not make myself clear in talking about the graphics configuration earlier. The different episodes of Bio Menace have slightly different EGA layout, so you do need to load the different GFXINFOE files (as opposed to copying the settings from Bio Menace 2, which appeared in the error report). Also, you should probably change the number of "Infoplane icons" in Tile Partitioning to 90; I would fix that in Abiathar but it's too minor of a change for a new release. (Alternatively, use From MAPTHEAD.)

It works!
reble

Post by reble »

In the picture with GFXINFOE what do I do then. Click on the box marked GFXINFOE? Were do I find the Infoplane icons?

Steve
Fleexy wrote:Aha! I have found the issue! It seems you followed my instructions perfectly... too perfectly, haha. I did not make myself clear in talking about the graphics configuration earlier. The different episodes of Bio Menace have slightly different EGA layout, so you do need to load the different GFXINFOE files (as opposed to copying the settings from Bio Menace 2, which appeared in the error report). Also, you should probably change the number of "Infoplane icons" in Tile Partitioning to 90; I would fix that in Abiathar but it's too minor of a change for a new release. (Alternatively, use From MAPTHEAD.)
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

In EGA Layout, after you check the box that enables everything, click From GFXINFOE. Select the GFXINFOE file with the extension for the game you are modding. Abiathar will import the settings from it.

The number of infoplane icons is an option in the Tile Partitioning section of the New Project Wizard. You can click From MAPTHEAD and select the file with the appropriate extension (to import the settings) or just enter 90 (the value for all Bio Menace games, IIRC) in the "Infoplane icons" box.
reble

Post by reble »

Bingo I just completed BM1. This time NO errors in processing and saving of the dependency file.

What other games can this editor work on?
Fleexy wrote:In EGA Layout, after you check the box that enables everything, click From GFXINFOE. Select the GFXINFOE file with the extension for the game you are modding. Abiathar will import the settings from it.

The number of infoplane icons is an option in the Tile Partitioning section of the New Project Wizard. You can click From MAPTHEAD and select the file with the appropriate extension (to import the settings) or just enter 90 (the value for all Bio Menace games, IIRC) in the "Infoplane icons" box.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Good to know it's working!
reble wrote:What other games can this editor work on?
Theoretically, Blake Stone, Catacomb 3D, Catacomb Abyss, Corridor 7, Dangerous Dave 3, Dave Goes Nutz, Noah's Ark 3D, Operation Body Count, Spear of Destiny, and Wolfenstein 3D would be compatible since they all use the GAMEMAPS format. Most of them, however, (especially the 3D ones) will likely require tile sheet bitmaps, but I haven't tested any of them. And, of course, Commander Keen 4-6 and Dreams - the games it's made for :)
Last edited by Fleexy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Fleexy wrote:Good to know it's working!
reble wrote:What other games can this editor work on?
Theoretically, Blake Stone, Catacomb 3D, Catacomb Abyss, Corridor 7, Dangerous Dave 3, Dave Goes Nutz, Noah's Ark 3D, Operation Body Count, Spear of Destiny, and Wolfenstein 3D would be compatible since they all use the GAMEMAPS format. Most of them, however, (especially the 3D ones) will likely require tile sheet bitmaps, but I haven't tested any of them.
O_O
Umm.... Wolfenstein?!?!?

I gotta try this... I hadn't thought of that...