Debug

Anything related to Keen Modding.
thehackercat

Debug

Post by thehackercat »

Hey y'all! My mod (Mars Kindgoms) is far from done, but already, I've got a major problem on my hands.

The mod WILL NOT PLAY in DOSbox.

It will play when I start the batch file without DOSbox. (Please note that I'm using Windows XP on a 32-bit machine.)

So, I've debugged all of my patch file. I don't think there's anything wrong in there. My batch file is ok, I have CK1PATCH in the same directory and everything. Here's the .zip of my mod with all the files it needs to run. http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1bymnmeajl/MARSK.zip

I really hope someone can help me with this!!
lemm

Post by lemm »

You could try commenting out each patch to see which one is the offender.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well I have good (Bad?) news for you, I have no problem with this mod, it works fine for me first go.

This suggests your problem is with your Dosbox setup. Can you run Keen without a mod at all? What error stops you playing? Out of memory? It freezes? Information is useful rather than just 'This isn't working'
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

If you are running dosbox on Vista be sure to keep the file in a simple 8-letter path that's dos compatible, which means no spaces, something like c:\MARSK\
I had problems with dosbox and long pathnames before.

Also I can second levellass'sss statement that it runs with out problems in dosbox on my machine.
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Yes, I can run the EXE from DOSBox with no problem. (Funny thing though, it still uses my custom graphics and levels..)

My pathname is C:\modding\marskingdoms. Although that is a long filename, MARSKI~1 works just fine in the DOS prompt.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify before what exactly was happening. Dosbox claimed that it couldn't find the script file "Patch.pat".

My copy of CK1Patch works, my batch files are OK, my patch file doesn't seem to be wrong, and what's more, it worked on your machines, so I really don't know what's the problem...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That is exactly my descibed problem try renaming your directory to marsk.
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Heyyyy! It works now! Thanks a lot.

</Noob>
levellass

Post by levellass »

For Keen 1-3, custom levels and graphics do NOT need the patch file.

Also, YOU do not need to include ORDER.FRM, that's a junk file.

Interestingly I find that when I use Dosbox to run my QBASIC programs, long pathnames, that confuse them are no longer a problem. :)