Releasing a mod in instalments.

Anything related to Keen Modding.

Should Spleen release his mod in instalments?

Yes indeed!
100%
Definitely not.
No votes

Total votes: 7

CommanderSpleen

Releasing a mod in instalments.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

What do y'all think if I start releasing the two mods I'm working on in an instalment fashion? This would mean the first release would include a couple of levels, and more would be added one or two at a time as I perfect them.

Do you think this would spoil the experience of playing the game, or simply be different, like watching a TV series rather than a movie?
Mink

Post by Mink »

I think that's a great idea. It would add to the experience by getting people excited about your mod, which in turn would likely give you more motivation to finish it.

Maybe I should do this with my Keen 5 level pack; I've only got to finish about two more levels, but I've been stuck in the same place for half a month. This option sure is tempting...
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

I agree with Mink.
Maybe I should do that too cause else my mod will be released late 2012 :P
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Of course I'd like to see a mod that has been in production for over half a decade, even if it's not finished. I hope Mink's right that feedback will give you motivation to finish it faster.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

It's a nifty idea for two reasons: First of all, it lets you reveal parts of the tileset at a time--so in case you're still experimenting with ideas, you can keep them secret for a little longer. Secondly, it keeps the interest in a mod longer-term.

In a way, it's like getting public playtesting, which I am definitely a fan of. :) I feel that actual PLAYERS give much better feedback.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I agree with Xky, I myself am thinking of doing something similar with my mod; I already have the minimod out and was thinking of releasing a few levels more. What I'm trying to do however is to change what I've already released too; a lot of the minimod stuff has been changed slightly from what it was as new ideas occurred to me. I'm now very tempted to do an 0.5 release.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Welp, I guess that decides it. I'll put together a solid front-end and some mappage and polish up the couple of levels that are already built. A placeholder ending is probably a good idea too.