Level drawer

Anything related to Keen Modding.
levellass

Level drawer

Post by levellass »

KeenView: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KeenView.zip

Hello there.

Since Napalm seems not to be getting on with it, I have made a simple Keen 1-3 level viewer. I have tested it on a number of mods, but it is possible hidden bugs may be lurking. I hope to eventually combine this with Keengraph (And make KeenGraph a bit speedier!)

Yes, it's in BASIC so yes, it does take several seconds to produce a map, but how often are you going to need to do so?

EDIT: Sprite and folder bugs should be fixed now. The only thing it can't handle is LZW compressed graphics.

EDIT 3: Minor bug fixed, half masked sprites show now too, back up at the original download place!

Appreciate the help guys! Love!
Last edited by levellass on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mink

Post by Mink »

This looks good so far; it should certainly speed up the process of posting level maps on KeenWiki. The only bug I found was that when I tried to drag and drop a level onto it, it gave me the error, "File EGAHEAD.CKx doesn't exist." However, it worked fine when I manually typed in the file name. This happened with all of the levels that I tried. Other than that, this is a pretty nice program. Good job.
Also, I'm looking forward to the KeenGraph revamp.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Very nice. I love it.

There's one bug though. I made a map of silcar1 level16 and all the monsters were wrong. Vorticons were Gargs, Gargs were Yorps, Yorps Keens, and Butlers Vorticons...
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

I like it alot, only thing is it shows vortikids where it should be vorticons in my mod (which is based of Keen 2).
It didnt really do what it should have done for keen 1 though...
This is what it gave me and it reminded me of girlfriends cooking....
Not too good :P Clicky
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok then, bugs so far are:

1.) Doesn't find EGAHEAD; does anyone else have this problem, or is it isolated? (Please tell me the mod it was used on, and if possible, email me the compressed folder.)

2.) Sprites in wrong places; this should be a general error, I'm not sure why it occurs, but for some reason, it's not totally eliminatable. Yet.

3.) Gibberish. Keen 1, when compressed, will not work, this is easily fixed.
The Shifted One

It only tells me it cant find EGAHEAD when I drag and drop the levels.
When I just open the app and input the levels it works.

Sprites arent in wrong places for me, just the wrong kinds.
It switches Vorticons and Vortikids both ways around.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well, it is beta code, and it was forced through. When it works, it works well, but some of the bugs are like fog, they only happen to other people. Is your EGAHEAD in the same directory as your levels? Keenview can't see files outside it's directory I don't think, though I can fix this if it's desired.
The Shifted One

Yeah its in the same directory, but it really doesnt matter.
The tool works fine when I just type in the levels filename so Im fine with it :P
levellass

Post by levellass »

Right. KeenView will NOT be made compatible with LZW compressed graphics, it's impossible to iron out the bugs.

If have allowed KeenView to draw levels not in its directory (Drag and drop) and it should now display sprites correctly, if there are any problems, and I have a sinking feeling there may be, don't hesitate to report them.

Just use the original link, enjoy everyone!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I tried again with Level16 of Silcar1 and now the monster are the right ones.

The only thing I still noticed is that the Vorticon and the Yorp replacements appeared floating (while they don't in minbelt).

Thanks for the update!
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is because Keen has hard coded 'offsets' that move a sprite down a certain amount. Mindbelt has these hardcoded too, but i didn't think it was worth it to include them in KeenDraw, since well, gravity works! ;p
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Hardcoded offsets? Does that mean they need to be patched if the sprite's height is modified? I haven't paid much attention to whether my sprites actually fall when they enter range or start off at ground level...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yes, that's exactly what it means. I've noticed that several times with my sprites, especially with the meep replacement in Keen3 (because the Meep shoots when it falls)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, though I am not quite sure how this works, as far as I am aware it is in multiples of half a tile. So Keen is 2.5 tiles tall and must be moved down half a tile, if you make him three tiles tall, he will fall through the ground (Or, if a tile taller, fall half a tile TO the ground.)

This is annoying and was a particular bugbear of LL from all the nagging at me she did.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I've now started to make maps of Silcar 2 with this, and I noticed that Vorticons and Vortikids are exchanged.

I'm now uploading the Silcar1 maps to KeenWiki, an most of the maps are done with this program.