A COSMO'S COSMIC ADVENTURE MOD?!

Anything related to Keen Modding.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Well, I'm still working on integrating speech into the game; the following methods didn't work:

1. Sampling voice by self with Apple II-compressed voice [First ever method I tried, was too slow, couldn't save progress, and not only that, length of sampling I was doing was too short]

2. Using Keenwave to sample raw, unaltered voice [didn't work, too much noise, completely inintelligible]

3. Using Apple II to compress voice into 1-bit recording, and using Keenwave to sample compressed recording [didn't work, recording much too complex, although words could be barely heard if someone had heard the original recording, then the compressed SND]

4. Using Apple II to record voice, then using the raw data from the recording in the Apple II's memory to create a special TXT file [Didn't get anything out of that, just deep-toned gibberish]

5. Using Apple II, a special tone recording with the tone hex values, and Macromedia Fireworks (a picture editor) to create a tone bitmap. [The sampling was too long, and sounded similar to how a television lo-res anonymous mosaic looks: http://effectv.sourceforge.net/screenshots/mosaic.jpg {bad analogy, I know}

6. Same as number 5, only I figured how long the smallest SND sample is. Even then, there are small intricacies in a voice (multiple tones) that can't be reproduced in a SND file.

What I hope to do now is record a voice at a lower sampling rate on my Apple II, then transfer that recording to the computer, then import that into KeenWave.

BTW, is it possible to modify the formatting of the text within the program?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Unfortunate, but I am not surprised; I think that's why VOC files were invented, to allow speech in games. I worked a lot with sine wave speech a while back, and I can tell you, voice patterns are complex.

What do you mean alter the format? (I may be slower programming now, I have been downgraded to Vista.)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

levellass wrote:Unfortunate, but I am not surprised; I think that's why VOC files were invented, to allow speech in games. I worked a lot with sine wave speech a while back, and I can tell you, voice patterns are complex.

What do you mean alter the format? (I may be slower programming now, I have been downgraded to Vista.)
As in this:

"THIS IS SAMPLE TEXT THAT"
"HAS PROBABLY BEEN HARDCODED"
"INTO THE GAME."

changes to:

"THIS IS SAMPLE TEXT THAT HAS"
"PROBABLY BEEN HARDCODED INTO"
"THE GAME, BUT ALSO CHANGED"

If I change the text in the game by keeping the text in-between the formatting markers, and making sure the length doesn't overflow, then it's fine, but if I change it by deleting the formatting markers, then the text goes kinda wacky... >.> (the program doesn't crash, though)
levellass

Post by levellass »

I still don't quite see what you're trying to do, KeenWave can export/import sounds as text, but it shouldn't be able to edit in-game text like CKPatch does.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

levellass wrote:I still don't quite see what you're trying to do, KeenWave can export/import sounds as text, but it shouldn't be able to edit in-game text like CKPatch does.
No, no, no, I meant can the text formatting in the game be changed? (Not like how you described it with KeenWave, I know it can't do that XD, but can lines of text be lengthened a little bit without causing a divide error? [it's the program's pointers, I know XD]) Sorry if I sounded a little too technical. XD
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

If you can change all the pointers in the game to reference a new location, as well as anything that specifies its existing length, there shouldn't be a problem. But that's probably easier said than done.
levellass

Post by levellass »

First up, do you have a legal way of modifying the Cosmo executable? Something Like Keen's CKPatch? If you do, then there is literally no limit to what you can do, if not.... well you're a bit stuck. All my edits use illegal modification, and are only minor.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

levellass wrote:First up, do you have a legal way of modifying the Cosmo executable? Something Like Keen's CKPatch? If you do, then there is literally no limit to what you can do, if not.... well you're a bit stuck. All my edits use illegal modification, and are only minor.
I have no experience in assembly code whatsoever, so I have no idea how to format the text. (One reason why I can't do this mod all by myself.) What I'm doing right now is I'm using a copy of the executable as a base for changes that will be made to the program. (Then I'll create a patch with all the changes that will be applied to the executable.) All I can do right now is change the text that can't be re-formatted or changed very much. (For example, the main menu.)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, then I assume that you're using my method, editing the executable directly, and that later on you'll use another program to somehow incorporate the alterations legally. Therefore I assume that you can make do with the raw locations in the unaltered executable.

Text patching is quite simple, the executable has various two-byte values that 'point' to a string, and the game reads said string until it comes to a 'stop' byte. There are also 'move down a line' bytes, $0A.

Our only limitation is the actual text space, that is, to make something larger, we have to make something else smaller. Aside from that, it's simple enough. Can you give me an example of something you want to change?
CommanderSpleen

What if you create a little utility that modifies the EXE file after it's been extracted onto the user's machine? That way you're still distributing the unmodified EXE. Theoretically, as long as the user doesn't then distribute that EXE, it should still be legal. Let me emphasise the word theoretically...
levellass

Post by levellass »

So, let me get this straight....

It is *distributing* a modified executable that is illegal? Then why is it illegal to spread Keen 2-3?
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

levellass wrote:So, let me get this straight....

It is *distributing* a modified executable that is illegal? Then why is it illegal to spread Keen 2-3?
Cause they('re supposed to) cost money.

Technically, though, the licensing that was included with all the Keen games forbids any programs that modify executables, patch them, modify the files, etc. So, pretty much any of these tools and mods are "illegal." But those rules aren't enforced any more. I don't think you'd need a patcher to release a Cosmo mod.
CommanderSpleen

Levellass wrote:It is *distributing* a modified executable that is illegal? Then why is it illegal to spread Keen 2-3?
I don't follow your logic that concludes that the illegal status of distributing a modified executable has anything to do with that of distributing the unmodified ones... but basically, what genius said.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

I'd prefer to be honest. :3
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since I posted, and I've been jumping from one mod implement to another (i.e. from changing the text formatting in the game, to changing the mechanics of the sound engine), but I keep getting flashes of inspiration. Speaking of inspiration...

I have an idea of how to put speech into the game. Since each "word" of each sound is 1/64 of a second long, that doesn't give any room for the intricacies of speech. A 1-bit wave form gives the impression that you are listening to a fluid (as much as 1-bit resolution will allow) unbroken voice by playing differently-pitched tones at high speed. If we could decrease the length of time that the game's sound engine processes each word (from 1/64 sec to about 1/128 sec), we could probably get a viable voice in the game. (It sounds confusing, but you try explaining a complex plan when it's 10:30 PM, you're tired as heck, your eyelids feel a little puffy. XD)

Anyway, onto other news. I've just about finished the new main title screen. (the very first title screen that comes up when you start the game.) The thing is, it looks so awesome to me, that I think I should keep what it looks like a secret. In fact, I think I'll use it as an indicator of completion of the mod. In other words, if you see a link to deviantART to the new title screen in any of my posts, that means that the mod has been completed.