A COSMO'S COSMIC ADVENTURE MOD?!

Anything related to Keen Modding.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmmn, I can't spot the error; no matter what I do, exporting and rexporting seem to work for me. Can you tell me specifically what happens? Does the program freeze? Is there an error message (That would be real informative.)?

I have uploaded a new version of KeenWave for someone else (Same link!); maybe that won't be so problematic for you. I know that bitmaps are my favorite sound form. (Note, KeenWave now runs on the command line, like all other programs do.)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Here's a runthrough on what happens with each form when an edited copy is inserted:

WAV: Only pulls out the files that have not been edited by importing (i.e. overwriting an extracted file, then running KeenWave on Import, which puts
all the files back into the archive, including the edited one.), as soon as it gets to an edited file, it stops completely (Only in DosBox. Although in Windows, the process on screen shows that it has extracted all of them, then exits, but only the unedited sounds have been pulled out.)

BMP:Same thing

TXT:Same thing
levellass

Post by levellass »

Interesting, interesting. again I haven't had this problem, and the lack of error messages is annoying. I can think of three possible reasons for this problem;

1.) Your operating system. If this isn't windows, KeenWave may be unpredictable, but DosBox should take care of this since KeenWave is a Dos program.

2.) File permission. it's possible KeenWave can't overwrite existing files. If this is the case, if you change the output directory. (Say -snddir="output") then all the sounds should extract. If they don't, then I think the only remaining explanation is...

3.) Your soundfile. It is possible the sound created in this case does something to KeenWave. Can you email me your sound file? I would like to check it.

The problem I have is that KeenWave has no way to check if a sound has been edited or not; it's all just data. There should be either total success, or total failure. (On the other hand, this provides a great opportunity to learn. I thank you for your patience.)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Well, I have no idea what your email address is. >.>
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well, most people use six_different_people at hotmail.com, but I can also be reached at Levellass at gmail.com.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

http://t-squaredpro.deviantart.com/art/ ... -109703803

I finally got Ayleen into the picture! 8D (She's next to Cosmo on the right. The glasses are sunglasses, but they're a little clearer towards the centers of the lenses so you can see her eyes. I'm still looking for more aliens to put in.
levellass

Post by levellass »

How very nice, I shall tell friends to keep an eye on you. It progresses steadily, I can't wait to play it!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Interesting Idea, the Humanizing.

Good luck with the project.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

levellass wrote:How very nice, I shall tell friends to keep an eye on you. It progresses steadily, I can't wait to play it!
If anyone wants to help out, they can check out my position list in my User Page on the Modding Wiki: http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/User:T-Squared , because I can't --and don't want to-- do everything by myself.

BTW, I sent you the wav and the modified SND file a few days ago, LL.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

To Levellass: how are the problems with KeenWave coming along?

To the rest of the community: The project is on hold for now. One reason is I'm waiting for levellass to fix the problems with KeenWave. Another reason is that I haven't had any people sign up for music, graphics, sound or even assembly programming.

Anyone reading this who has experience with music and 16-color graphics, please email me at [tazsonic (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net]
levellass

Post by levellass »

Bleah, sorry T^2; it's been a hectic week. (But aren't they all?)

The error was quite simple, KW simply was too tough with filenames. A one-line addition has fixed the problem. The new upload also autodetects Keen executables when extracting stuff, and I'm working on the adlib sounds. http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KWbeta.zip (If this still doesn't work... darn!)

Now, about these graphics? What are you on about now? I have a lot of experience with 16 color, I'm just not that good at them. (Look at my mod to see why.) I also have experience in module music. (S3m and PSM.)

Oh, and interesting note, Keen cannot play 64K IMFs, they need to be 63.0Kb or less. (You get the error 'doesn't support 64K reads yet!')
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

PERFECT! (I can export the modified snd file back into waves or bitmaps 8D)

But...

When I try to change the fidelity rate, I get a "Division by Zero error in Module KeenW44" error.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Interesting, to what value are you setting it? It should only give that error when set to below 1 or above 100ish.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

That's the thing, it's everything above 1 only. I think you might have flipped a ">" or a "<" symbol for the fidelity value.
levellass

Post by levellass »

KeenWave's fixed, it just didn't like nul inputs.