QUESTION: Importing TileInfo

CKPatch is a set of patching tools for all Keen episodes.
CommanderSpleen

QUESTION: Importing TileInfo

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I'm having some trouble using CK1PATCH to import a .tli file... all the tiles become screwed up completely. When I run the game without the line to import the file, it works at least as well as it should (ie. the tiles behave 'normally'.)

I've tried two different %patchfile offsets (0x131F8 and 0x130F8).

Hmm... I just carried out an experiment... it seems that if I use the original tileset (I decided to completely revamp the entire 1til0000.bmp file) it works fine--all the tileinfo seems to be imported, despite the unbearably disturbing graphics.

The image sizes have stayed the same... I'm pretty sure the palettes have remained unchanged...

*experiments again*. Argh! I just ran keen1.exe straight and the graphics work fine with the modified tileset! Argh! It just goes from one extreme to the other!

Little help? ~ ;:.

>Commander Spleen
JosephBurke

Post by JosephBurke »

That is very confusing and I don't know but I'll suggest something. Try editing level90.ck1 to be blank.
CommanderSpleen

A...ha...hrmm...

I did some further experimenting, and it seems I've found a solution...

I was redoing the entire tileset and tileinfo from scratch... not a good idea, apparently... I copied across all my edited tiles into tile 144 onward, imported the original (unlzexed of course) keen1.exe, and modified the necessary info from there... the graphics work perfectly now.

I think I've missed a couple of details throughout the tileinfo as a couple of errors took place, but everything seems to be in order.

Yeehaw!

>Commander Spleen
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

IIRC, the readme states that you must always import or open the tileinfo before editing it. It's something to do with not initialising the array properly until you do so, I think. I don't remember, now. But it makes sense to work off the original tileinfo, as there are still some tiles which are hard-coded for which patch information is not yet available (e.g. yorp statues).
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

The reason you have to import from an exe in tileinfo is because if you don't, none of the animation settings have a value for any of the tiles.

Basically, if you'd rather set the animation state for ~650 tiles, only then would you start from scratch.
Zorath

Post by Zorath »

Basically, if you'd rather set the animation state for ~650 tiles, only then would you start from scratch.
Hehe, I have actually done this for Keen 1 and 2. Image

I'll post the tileinfo files later.
CommanderSpleen

Hmm...

Hehe, I have actually done this for Keen 1 and 2.
Hmm... I wonder why it didn't work for me when I tried...

>Commander Spleen
Zorath

Post by Zorath »

I'll post the tileinfo files later.
Well, here it is: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/meklund/pckf/tinfo.zip. The zip file includes empty tileinfo files (with the animation frames set to "no animation") for Keen 1 and 2. This should be useful if you want to make a new tileset from scratch.

The zip also includes a HTML document with descriptions of most of the hard-coded tiles in the game. This document is still not finished, and may include errors. If anyone want to finish it, feel free to...

BTW, someone may already have seen this, I posted about it at the PCKF a while ago. This is however a newer version of it.