Mindbelt | The Keener's Editor (version 1.3)

Utilities for editing Keen:Vorticons levels.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Glad you guys like the name. :-)

Now, the next version is online.

The new features in version 0.7 are:
- tile search mode, like in TED5
- zooming in the level

Let me know about any bugs/suggestions/whatever!
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

It was Ck456Tli. Mindbelt then. What's next, CK Guy? Your level pack? ;)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Actually, I already have a level pack. :-)

I was making a Keen 5 level pack a while ago. I got up to "release four" which had like seven or eight levels in it. I've been working sporadically on it in the two and a half years since then, and might make release five at some point.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

I know you have a level pack. I've been playing it since rel 2. I meant you'll start to make daily releases of it when you get bored of this editor... but, perhaps you could try to write a Keen4-6 editor before getting bored of this one.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I can imagine it now...

'Hey, release 18 is up; I fixed the problem with the bridge in level 14, oh and it comes with a copy of my latest mod and my new 4-6 editor. (I added an auto carmacizer!)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

*blushing emotikeen*

Well, here's version 1.0! The main new feature is the level statistics window, although a bug was fixed from last version (both the rectangle tool and tile search mode were assigned to the hotkey [R] - tile search mode is now [H]).

I now have a question for the community: how do you think that I should handle customizing the "collectibles" for the level statistics window when the modder uses tileinfo to change the tile properties. (Sorry if that sentence was incomprehensible ;-)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Options-->Collectibles

Code: Select all

Please specify the tile used for:
      Background 1:                   Background 2:
 100 points - $A3 (image)        100 points - $EE (image)
 200 points - $A5 (image)        200 points - $EF (image)
 500 points - $A8 (image)        500 points - $F3 (image)
1000 points - $B1 (image)       1000 points - $F5 (image)
2000 points - $B4 (image)       2000 points - $H7 (image)
5000 points - $BB (image)       5000 points - $HA (image)

{OK}      {Cancel}
Clicking on the image brings up a window of the tileset, so the user can point out the desired tile for each.

This way level statistics are flexible! :)
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

You could use something like:

- uv points - tile $ab (ghi)
- wx points - tile $cd (jkl)
- yz points - tile $ef (mno)

Every time one line is finidhed, you get another one which can either be filled out or left blank. The points each tile use should be adjustable; the values in keen can be changed through patching. The tiles should have the option of filling out both hexadecimal format and decimal format; maybe have a graphical tile picker for the loaded tileset?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmn, will there be an ability to adjust the points values and ammo amounts since we can patch those values for all 3 Keens (And 4-6 actually.)?

This just gets more awesomer each time, awesomer enough to make me use invented words!
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Xky's idea is good, plus of course LLa's idea. But I think there should be a way to have more or less of those "Background X" groups. I have 4 backgrounds for items in my mod!!

Actually, there should be a way to load in tileset info into the editor. Then, you could press a key, and different info, like solid sides of tiles, appear. It gets difficult when designing secret areas and stuff, and have two tiles that look exactly alike...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

genius314 wrote:Actually, there should be a way to load in tileset info into the editor. Then, you could press a key, and different info, like solid sides of tiles, appear. It gets difficult when designing secret areas and stuff, and have two tiles that look exactly alike...
Gool idea!

The idea about tile values could be done with some script thing; by clicking something a file browsing window would appear and there one'd have to choose a Mindbelt script file (.mbs perhaps). And perhaps some button to return the initial settings. Anyways. This script file could have tile number, what type of value is assiciated with them, and then what value is associated with them. And actually the type is unrequired in case the editor loads the tileinfo data and knows the type of every tile. With type I mean things like whether it's ankh value, ammo, points... It could be like this (the following having value types), or whatever you please;

Code: Select all

340 P 500
341 P 1000
342 A 3
The first two being 500 and 1000 point collectiables, and the third a 3 shot ammo tile.
levellass

Post by levellass »

So what you're saying is, it'd read the .tli file, and say, for ammo in a level add up all the tiles in the level with the 'ammo' property, et cetera?

Oh, and when I want to keep track of my secret passages, I just invert the colors of the tiles that are used, then I can see them clearly, and easily reverse the change later on.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

levellass wrote:So what you're saying is, it'd read the .tli file, and say, for ammo in a level add up all the tiles in the level with the 'ammo' property, et cetera?
Yeah, and add them with the ammo values they have in mod. (In my example the script had value 'types', in it the editor didn't load .tli (and partly because of clarity).)

But now, today, this whole idea seems pretty stupid, and I wish I hadn't written it. Forget everything I said!
levellass

Post by levellass »

*Whispers* It's called the edit button, it gets rid of embarrassing mistakes.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

CK Guy wrote:*blushing emotikeen*

Well, here's version 1.0! The main new feature is the level statistics window, although a bug was fixed from last version (both the rectangle tool and tile search mode were assigned to the hotkey [R] - tile search mode is now [H]).

I now have a question for the community: how do you think that I should handle customizing the "collectibles" for the level statistics window when the modder uses tileinfo to change the tile properties. (Sorry if that sentence was incomprehensible ;-)
So it's no longer beta?