A Sham On Inishmort

Showcase your completed mod here!
Benvolio

A Sham On Inishmort

Post by Benvolio »

Hereby, Benvolio dost proudly present:

http://www.maguidhir.com/benvolio/benvolio_sham.zip

which is his latest Keen Modding effort. The foul-hearted Mortimer McMire has a plot to poison everyone in the world, using poisons he is currently developing on the fair isle of Inishmort, which lies off the west coast of Ireland. (Nobody seems to have discovered it until Mortimer did).

Noble, honest, iron-fisted Defender Of Galactic Justice, Commander Keen, must therefore save the world again. For the umpteenth time he must steal four poisons to save everything.

Enjoy!!!!!
XkyRauh

woah

Post by XkyRauh »

This is amazing, Benvolio--your backgrounds keep getting better and better! I like this one a lot. Haven't finished it yet, but I've loved everything so far.

Kudos! :-)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

*Enters grumpy critic mode*

Stupid modders with stupid talent, think they're better than me....

Well, well, another mod eh? Dear lord, I'm pretty sure that more mods than even I've released. [And of better quality] I bet you'll be one of the last modders in existance. [In 2023, when we're all playing TUIT and Keen 1-3 is forgotten.] Note, you should try to make a Keen 3 mod sometime, patching has made great leaps and bounds.

Now the mod:

Graphics: Your preview pictures are AWESOME, even if they are a bit random. As said by Xky, your tile design has improved again from your previous efforts, it still has the signature Benvolio cubicidity and simple shape design, but now more patterned and shaded. The colours are vivid and used in a way that makes every level look like rocky road icecream.

The sprites are, classic Benvolio, they could've been taken right out of your first mod.

Story and texts: Yet another perpendicular Benvolio story; almost random, yet containing all the elements of a good adventure [and a bit of humour] The actual texts were somewhat spartan, but they cover all your bases quite well. It is a pity Keen loses his secrecy in the end, now all his siblings will want to go for rides around the galaxy.

Patches: I have the vaugest feeling you copied a few bits from others' patchfiles, and there was no need to include the .tli file [or CTLPANEL oddly enough] Its 'kyubz' not 'koobz' BTW, but otherwise very inventive use of patches. [Nice to see some ending sequence patches being exploited]

Levels: At last! Some smaller levels [only huge not gigantic] You display your typical flair for filling a 120x90 box with an inventive yet completable set of puzzles and traps, top quality work. Well done.

Total: Very highly recomended.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Gaaarg! I'm at school at the moment and won't get out for four hours. X( Sounds awesome though, and looks (screens on site)! Definitely nice work, can't wait to get playing.. ::drool::
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I bet you'll be one of the last modders in existance.
Well, actually I'm gonna be pulling out of the modding business pretty soon. It's just so easy and addictive - when you think you've given it up for good, your head fills up with ideas that you have no choice but to make.

you should try to make a Keen 3 mod sometime
I've already explained why I don't like Keen3. The only good thing about Keen3 is that without it there would be no Xkykeen3. Other than that, it's probably the least fun game Apogee ever did.

Anyway thanks for the compliments!!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Didn't you just release musical keen, like a month ago? Wow, you're a fast modder. Me, it looks like it takes half a year to make a mod.

Can't wait to download it. In general I tend to like your stuff.
XkyRauh

!

Post by XkyRauh »

Hey, you know... I smell a nomination for Keenest Person of 2005 coming up... :-)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Well, actually I'm gonna be pulling out of the modding business pretty soon.
One question:
WHY?
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Because I have two visions in my head. One is having a list of Benvolio's Mods a kilometre long, and still being a veteran modder aged 100 when every other modder is long gone. The other vision is creating a game programmed by me, and actually making money from it. The latter is around 100000000 times harder, but would end up €1000000 times more rewarding than modding.

But you'll see at least one more effort from me before I leave. I'll try to make it my best ever, though I think I peaked at Musical Keen.
;-C
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, I see.. pity.. :( But well, one's gotta make the money out of somewhere.
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

:-D Just be sure you let some of us beta-test or sneak-preview your work, Benvolio. I've got complete confidence in you--you're a very inspired young man.