Xky's One Level Mod

Showcase your completed mod here!
XkyRauh

Xky's One Level Mod

Post by XkyRauh »

Hehe... Took a while to try and fit everything into that tiny little tileset--as I said before, it's amazing how much space animating and masking tiles can take up. All this content and somehow the whole thing just feels like a standard Keen4 level... the end result continues to boggle my mind on what modding Keen4 really entails.

Run through it once or twice and tell me what you think of the environment... I'm still bouncing ideas around, and your comments can make a difference!

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/xkyrauh/Xky1Lev.zip

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Here's a host:
http://www.keengrid.net/ckfiles/modific ... ky1Lev.zip

Now.. GONNA PLAY!!!!! ^__^

Edit:
WHOALY GARGS!
This mod is just awesome. It looks amazing. I'm stunned. Can't wait for XkyKeen4. The art style in this as Xkyish as possible (which means this looks pretty gargin' good). ::drool::
Mr12000

Post by Mr12000 »

That really is some fantastic art Xky...

My mind is blown! Are you going to add enemies and items too? Or just this awesome level?

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the tile set too btw! ;-)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

WOW!

This is amazing! Can't wait to see XkyKeen 4!
Mr12000

Post by Mr12000 »

foshizzle genius314
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

wow, very true to your art style. Xkykeen 4 will be amazing, I cant wait!
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Xky, you're the freakin god of 16-color organic graphics.
DasBrot

Wow

Post by DasBrot »

Woah. Thats just.... unbelievable.
XkyRauh

not necessarily...

Post by XkyRauh »

Mr12000 wrote:That really is some fantastic art Xky...

My mind is blown! Are you going to add enemies and items too? Or just this awesome level?

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the tile set too btw! ;-)
You've got the tileset sitting right there in front of you... is there any room to fit point tiles, ammo tiles, or even key and door tiles? :-( I had to cut EVERYTHING out to make it fit...

Thanks for the positive feedback--I think we've got a good idea of how XkyKeen4's gonna look, then.
xtraverse wrote:Xky, you're the freakin god of 16-color organic graphics.
Haha--that made me say "Oh, wow, I've got a lot of positive feedback" out loud. I'm glad you really like it--but could you give me some more specific comments? Were you able to tell that the columned structures in the background at the end were trees? Did the inside of the caves look okay? Was the massive 30-tile paddlewheel okay? (thing took 2 hours to construct!)

...How should I handle the ground? I'm not particularly happy with the way I randomly scattered the dark grey and brown lines around in there in the underground section. Any tips/suggestions?

--Xky
CommanderSpleen

Wowowowowow.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Dude!

Like... DUDE!

That is some damn crafty work right there... and to think there'll be a Keen4 tileset full of this stuff. =(8D)-

I can't believe the result you achieved on that waterwheel... it's amazing what can be done with a bunch of four-frame tiles. And those caves... wow.

The only things I can really pick on are the fact that Keen doesn't stop in the middle of the left-edge tiles, and at the end of the first ledge, if you put God Mode on and try to move left past the top two tiles of the foliage they seem to be set to blocking. But these are inconsequential to anything.

*applauds*
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

The graphics there were amazing! The only problem I could find was that there was some odd clipping when Keen walked right up to a wall on the right-hand side (I think some of the tiles were foreground that shouldn't have been). The cave looked really good -- the detail tiles you mention gave it variation without being distracting. The things at the end looked like plants of some sort, but it was hard to tell the size of them (even with the building there for scale), so I didn't think they were tree-sized.

Was anyone else able to complete it without using cheats? I did! :-b
Mr12000

Re: not necessarily...

Post by Mr12000 »

XkyRauh wrote:You've got the tileset sitting right there in front of you... is there any room to fit point tiles, ammo tiles, or even key and door tiles? :-( I had to cut EVERYTHING out to make it fit...
sorry, i havnt successfully ripped the graphics yet so ive never seen the original or know about how it works :(, but it saul good! its a great level.

I particurly liked the inside of the cave. The shadowing and layering was done extremely tasteful. What I thought to be one of the coolest things was the pipe(?)ish thing that ran through the ground. That was really quite cool. The wheel looked good... the grey lines look fine... and I knew the trees were some sort of plant! very good art indeed!
....XkyRauh4....
\OO/
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I liked the whole thing, the caves looked excellent, the water wheel pretty good and I really like the factory on the background at the end of the level. :)
Was anyone else able to complete it without using cheats? I did! :-b
I had to use items cheat, but only twice this time! ;)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Uber 1337

Fucling Oresome!

Once again you crush our pitiful modding efforts with your genius, I mean OMG! I've got to rip this somehow.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

levellord wrote:Fucling Oresome!

Once again you crush our pitiful modding efforts with your genius, I mean OMG! I've got to rip this somehow.
Agreed!!!!! WOW!!!!!! Very XkyKeenish graphics yet again!!