Perilous Pursuit

Showcase your completed mod here!
CommanderSpleen

Perilous Pursuit

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I haven't heard from Ceilick in nearly two days, and the mod has been waiting about that long to be released. Before it starts to go mouldy, here it is for y'all to enjoy:

Commander Keen in "Goodbye Galaxy"
Episode VI: Perilous Pursuit

http://jimsoft.spatang.com/keen/spleen/ ... ursuit.zip

The main substance of the mod--graphics, levels, and the front end--were all put together by Ceilick. I sorted out the technical details of patching, bug-tweaking, grammar perfectionism, various graphical fixes, and of course, the sound effects.

If you find any bugs or have any crazy little problems, lemme know.

Now, DOWNLOADIFY!!

Edit: Hahah... well timed, Ceilick. *fixes minor problem*

>Commander Spleen
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Yup, after about a year and a half of work its finnaly done. sorry i wasnt able to submit it right away, i was visiting a friend and unexpectedly ended up staying there a couple days. Hope you all enjoy!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Partyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
This'll be great! :) I've been waiting for this! And it is done now! SO coool!!!!!

I'll say more when I can play it, so, after ~9 hours from now. Ugh, this is going to be painful.

Edit: Well, I still have this 20 minutes of time to get it work.. And can't! AAAAARGH. It won't run with the patches. :( I would need DosBox's assistance, but it doesn't work with patches either. Fcl. Am I completely crazy or did bats work with some olde DosBox?! If so, could anyone post me a link to the file, since I can't find those older versions anymore! :(
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Heres a link for dosbox

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

I use version 0.61 and it works fine, what version are you using?

Edit: i just tried running pursuit.bat with version 0.63 at it doesnt work with that version.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, though, I already found the older version archives earlier this morning, just before I went school, and installed 0.58 and tried -- it worked with that. But since it works with 0.61 (as you said) I gotta try with that since that's probably better version. I hope they will have the feature to use bat stuff in the next version of DosBox. Anyways, I couldn't play almost at all, but will today later, but it looked really promising. Excellent work.. BBL!

Edit: Ah.. Nothing's better than a cool mod after a hard day.. I've played the half of it probably. Amazing work this far! ::drool::
DasBrot

Post by DasBrot »

I wonder why only KeenRush is posting here...
To the mod: Its just perfect. I really like the enemies, sound effects, graphics, level design,... That mod is totally amazing!
XkyRauh

haha

Post by XkyRauh »

I followed DasBrot's sentiments right up until I played the first level. The title screen was awesome, the story was full of intrigue and creativity (I really like the "here's what REALLY happened" atmosphere) and the map screen was cute in its quirky "I wish I was Keen4!" way... but once I entered a level, it became very evident that this game was NOT Keen4... I couldn't grab ledges, I had to use my pogo to jump rediculously small ledges, and I couldn't save mid-level in case I did something stupid. I got game over way faster that I ever have in any other mod, because I simply could not get used to using SPACE to fire! I know that sounds dumb, but I really couldn't... I'd get in a tight spot and just mash Ctrl+Alt and then start to jump and die. :-( I also seemed to have a ton of trouble jumping over the trees who shoot--they killed me a lot!

I really like some of the graphics in this mod, though--it's a lot of pain trying to get a tilted atmosphere with the Keen1 tileset... kudos for an excellent job there! Sometimes the contrast was a bit much--when I took the teleporter to the roof of that "Closed" building, I almost couldn't play the level because the walls were so vibrant and cluttery! Other levels, like the blue-and-grey background, worked wonderfully. There's a lot of ups and downs in this mod. Overall, I want to like it very much--it was obviously a lot of work to piece together... however, something about it really turns me off, and I can't put my finger on it... maybe it's the confusion between Keen1 and Keen4?

{Edit: I did go into the crashed Shikadi ship--I thought that was a superb touch; went right along with the intrigue and atmosphere of the whole story! It's the levels AFTER that which threw me off!}

{Edit 2: Alright, I went through and many of the levels were pretty short, once I headed in the right direction. Maybe I should start capturing video of myself playing these mods, so you all can laugh at me, because I seriously go in the WRONG DIRECTION EVERY TIME! :-) I just get lost and stuck in these hopeless situations that the author probably doesn't even intend to happen. Maybe that's why you all think my own mods are so easy...? lol. Either way, the ending sequence was fan-freakin'-tastic. The last level with all the prison cells was awesome, and the level design remains some of my favorite--Ceilick, your levels have always made sense to me--good job on pulling this off. I didn't like it at first, but I've got a new appreciation for it now.}

{Edit 3: I went back and braved the depths of the jail... I recognized all the enemies except the far right guy... who was that?}

--Xky
Last edited by XkyRauh on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

im glad you guys like what your seeing so far. dont forget to check out the enemy profiles and stuff in the f1 help file. Also, on the world map, the crashed shikadi ship IS a level, incase you walked right over it ;)

lol, sorry your having such a hard time xky. It is a bit odd having everything seem like keen 4, but not.

edit: glad you were able to get the hang of it :) Also, the rooftop level is a prison too, incase you didnt explore the depths of the level.

edit: That last guy is one i drew originaly for a keen 4 mod, but now you'll see it in Commander Keen and the Lost Oracle, a fan game by Twilight Dragon/john E.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

So Keenrush, DasBrot, did you manange to find Mortimer? or are you still looking for clues :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Oh, sorry! Haven't been able to play for 20+ hours (because of the night + school + homeworks). I'll get to it now. :)
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

garg I hate dosbox I can't even get it to work. why doesn't it work in windows?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Probably because it requires too much some memory stuff or something (sprites are huge) etc..

Anyways, before I forget! Great mod overall! The ending was really cool! :) Thanks for a good adventure!
DasBrot

Post by DasBrot »

So Keenrush, DasBrot, did you manange to find Mortimer? or are you still looking for clues :)
I'm still looking... ;) Hadn't much time today...

EDIT: Whoo, i finished this mod. Agree with KeenRush, cool ending! This is now my favorite mod after xkykeen2.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Downloading...Done.

Playing...Done

Finding Mort... ... ... ...Done!

Dear [level]lord! Sparky lil mod isn't it? I lurve the Keen4ic presentation and sunds. It is just another uniqe jewel among the mods of Keen.