Commander Keen's Christmas Special

Showcase your completed mod here!
Benvolio

Commander Keen's Christmas Special

Post by Benvolio »

Levellord and Benvolio have cooperatively developed a Christmas mod of Keen1, under the title Benvolilord! It is hosted at the following urls:

www.maguidhir.com/benvolio

http://files.keenmodding.org/xmasmod.zip

Commander Keen finds, to his horror, that on Christmas Eve he hasn't got presents for all his family yet. In desperation, he turns to his friend, the Easter Bunny, for help. Keen is transported to the holiday dimension where he can find appropriate gifts. The holiday dimension is divided into four regions: the Christmas region, the Easter region, the Tooth-Fairy region and the Halloween region. In each, he must fight festive creatures and thugs, drink cans of soda, find countless secrets and overcome all obstacles.

Benvolilord
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Oh wow!!! Gonna try right now! :D

By the way, may I ask how you two got to make a cooperative mod? Really cool!
DasBrot

WOW

Post by DasBrot »

WOAH! That mod is absolutely amazing. I just started to play it. The thing i like the most is that snowy background. *DasBrot has no time to post more than three sentences* Must play...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Whoa, indeed a great mod! :D Just played the thing. Great work there! The teeth land was sure the bizarrest one I've seen in mods for a long time.

I'll put this on my site along with some screens when I get home. In the best case even before. :)
grafix

Argh, teeth! Not the dentists! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Post by grafix »

It wouldn't be a LevelLord mod without bugs, would it?

Nice mod. The first level has some places where you can die too easily, and some enemies aren't obvious (not to mention the poor world map tile settings and the lack of a decent patchfile) but overall a fun way to waste an hour. I recommend you play this mod.

Also, I expect to see allstories reviewing this mod soon. I'd do it myself, but I'm a bad review writer - far too biased in favour of the modder. Let's leave it to the person who's far too biased against the modder instead.
Last edited by grafix on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

What?! You tell the world map is badly done? It's one of the best ones I've ever seen, and I've played every released mod!
grafix

Buggy

Post by grafix »

When I said it was bad, I meant there were some bugs meaning that you could walk through certain tiles. It was a very well designed and drawn map, though.
CommanderSpleen

Problem?

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I like what I see here. This is über Keenish. You guys have done an awesome job on this one.

The story screen is well made. The portraits to indicate who is speaking is a nice touch... I'll be ripping that concept in my mod now. And the entire story is simple and quirky. I like.

One little detail that kind of irritates me is the lack of masking on the foreground obstacles. Keen walks in front of them, even though they are obviously resting in the foreground. I presume this was because of a tile shortage? Not such a big problem, though.

I passed the game... however, I only passed one level in order to do so. Might want to check that... it was in the Christmas area, the first cave thinggie that you encounter when heading South-West, IIRK (I'll check it again later). Somehow in that level I managed to collect all four items. I haven't watched the ending yet--I Win-keyed it and closed the game before it could play through.

>Commander Spleen
XkyRauh

oooh!

Post by XkyRauh »

With every new mod (s)he's a part of, LevelLord earns increasing respect from me... and Benvolio's becoming the same way. I'm genuinely jealous of how fun this mod is! :-) You two have put together something very creative and unique--congratulations! I haven't managed to beat it yet, but I did encounter some same unusual stuff that Spleen mentioned... by the time I completed level 2, I'd already gotten 3 of the 4 items somehow! O_o But after I got game over, my 2nd time through, I had nothing at that point... *shrug*

Either way, I'll probably edit this post once I finish the game. It's looking great so far--I really like the variety of colors in here!

--Xky
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

All the originality, nice. This mod seems to be a bit basic but it's definitely fun. I liked the easter bunny messages and the words written in blocks (what are they called?). The tooth are very funny. Sometimes it was a little hard to recognize the death tiles though, ive had some hard times avoiding background objects.

Good idea to do a cooperative projects, i should do that to some day. I guess LL did (ripped) the graphics and Benvolio build the levels? Seems to have worked out well.

I haven't completed it yet so i should be quiet anyway...

Oh and one of the ice levels reminded me a bit to much of the original level16.ck1 :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Ah, fixed the 'finnish game' bug: http://www.freewebs.com/gannalev/xmasmod.zip The first level had all the objects lined up, right at the begginning, underwater! Can you believe it??
When I said it was bad, I meant there were some bugs meaning that you could walk through certain tiles. It was a very well designed and drawn map, though
You mean the way to the secret level? Mmm, you're right, I'm sure I put some kind of hint about that somewhere...
I passed the game... however, I only passed one level in order to do so. Might want to check that... it was in the Christmas area, the first cave thinggie that you encounter when heading South-West, IIRK (I'll check it again later). Somehow in that level I managed to collect all four items. I haven't watched the ending yet--I Win-keyed it and closed the game before it could play through
Odd, I suspect it was something to do with the tileinfo file...no, odd, I can see the problem, but I can't see the cause. Maybe its something to do with the patching, I had problems when the score rose too high [It impinges on the code that places the endsprites over the background.]
Good idea to do a cooperative projects, i should do that to some day. I guess LL did (ripped) the graphics and Benvolio build the levels? Seems to have worked out well.
On the contary, we both did everything. [Thats why level 16 is ripped, I was running out of time.]
CommanderSpleen

=(:')-

Post by CommanderSpleen »

LevelLord wrote:Odd, I suspect it was something to do with the tileinfo file...
Are you still talking about the goal items, or did you misinterpret "I Win-keyed it and closed the game before it could play through"?

>Commander Spleen
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

The mod's development was organised via e-mail over the space of about 2 weeks. The making of levels and of graphics was pretty evenly divided.

DasBrot, the snow you were admiring was actually taken from the mod Bazooka Wowbagger by Paperface Music!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Ah yes, I recognized that.