Showcase your completed mod here!
CommanderSpleen

Commander Keen: Monky Business

Post by CommanderSpleen »

[edit - August 07, 2004, 1:50am (+10:00)]
Woooooooohoooooooo!

It's finally here!

http://jimsoftlair.tripod.com/keen/sple ... bkbeta.zip
(It's Tripod--copy link address into Address bar.)

[/edit]

I figure I might as well finally start up a thread on this forum for CK:MB. Maybe I'll get some more useful feedback.

Here's the PCKB CK:MB Thread.

The latest additions:
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v19 ... kmbt01.gif

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v19 ... kmbt02.gif

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v19 ... kmbt03.gif

This is the concept art for the title screen. I've had this idea in mind for a fair while now, but I'd phobically avoided learning how to draw the hood (for reasons you can see on the first page *shudder*).

I'm aiming for the end-of-Keen4 look when Keen finds out what the Shikadi look like. Even after all these sketches the shoulders still don't look quite right, and the expression doesn't nearly convey enough anxiety. In Paint I've worked the shoulders out a lot better--a surprisingly simple detail in that they needed to be above the chin. I figure it'll be a lot easier to work on making Keen look more worried when I've rendered the BMP.

The bloody evil-monk hand took me ages to get right as well. And in the end I scrapped the original style visible in the bottom left of the second page and moved toward the style in the top right of the same page. Though it's still going to take some time to get the hands to look particularly gnarly.

And that's my life story up to the minute.

Comments? Suggestions? Random blatherings? Completely uninterpretable jibberish?

>Commander Spleen
Last edited by CommanderSpleen on Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

When I saw this topic name, I though "finally that Spleen has released that mod, wohooo", but this is nice as well. :)

Good drawings and nice idea for the title. These you probably have planned to do, but I suggest that you replace the main title picture as 320x200 picture and use that patch to get it to left-up corner. Then, I suggest you leave a white background to that pic, it would look good on my opinion. Or you could have some shadows, but white background still is what would fit in my opinion (which often isn't very artistic).
CommanderSpleen

Experimental Simplicity.

These you probably have planned to do, but I suggest that you replace the main title picture as 320x200 picture and use that patch to get it to left-up corner.
Yeah, definitely.
Then, I suggest you leave a white background to that pic, it would look good on my opinion
I was considering putting some sort of trippy purple background in, something like the shroud on the main map. However, you might be onto something--I'll definitely give it a try. Could be surprisingly trippy.

Thanks for the uninterpretable jibberish, KR.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You're welcome. :) Well, that purple could work also, but differently.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Grrrg!
Gimme new screens or beta, Spleeny!
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Looks good. Personally, I'm a fan of black (maybe dithered X-tra dark grey with shadows... Hmm...), but that might not work well with your hat. I support the purple. Large expanses of white, even broken up, look sterile and well-lit. Given the screenshots on your page, purple seems to be a good choice. Purple would also contrast nicely with Keen's red cload and the green evil-monk hand (It is green, right? Right?). I might reccommend titel text along the bottom to avoid interfering with the evil claw reahcing in from the top. Unusual, but it works.

Allright, enough designerly advice. Hurry up and finish the beeping thing! At least post more screens. As always, everything I see on that page r0X0rz.[/i]
CommanderSpleen

Beta me silly if I don't release my beta, silly.

Thanks for the comments Grelphy.

I have now completed the title yesterday. 'Twas awesome fun--a projector has recently been installed in the roof of the computer room in which my classes frequently transpire, so I hijacked the computer it was attached to and set up shop with my mod.

I sat there for like two hours straight getting the colours and the background just right. I'm extremely happy with the end result (thus far).

However, at this moment, I'm not showing it to y'all. Bwahahaha. Instead, I'll show you what it looked like before I rendered it. http://jimsoftlair.tripod.com/keen/sple ... 070401.gif (paste into address bar--it's Tripod).

Don't worry... won't be long and you'll be seeing it in its full rendered 320x200 glory. That's right... my beta version has been unearthed again. I can now look at it from a relatively detached perspective, and it seems it's not nearly as bad as I'd convinced myself to have stopped working on it in the first place. All the niggling little details seem a lot smaller now.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Very good pic Spleen, and nice to hear the good news! :)
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

I have now completed the title yesterday.
Interesting use of English there, Spleen. The design looks good. I imagine it'll be even better in color. I can't think of any thing to add, except:

Hurry up!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Thats nothing, Spleen will be hurrying up last week, and he has completed the sprites tomorrow.
CommanderSpleen

These are post Spleen am made as put in site.

Grelphy Interesting use of English there, Spleen.
Well, I completed the image around 11pm, and typed the post at about 1am. Makes perfect sense.

>CommanderSpleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

A bit off-topic: Do you visit #keeners anymore Spleen? I chatted you a bit when you first came to PCKF (IIRC it was you), but haven't seen you there again. Well, I don't visit so often, but would be nice to chat something Keen sometime. :)
CommanderSpleen

Lemme see...

Do you visit #keeners anymore Spleen? I chatted you a bit when you first came to PCKF (IIRC it was you)
'Twas indeed I. Haven't been there for a long while. Guess I'll drop by again soon, since I'm now online non-stop.

Update: Only text, the "Be Right With Ya" sprite, Level81/90, the preview images and general polishing to go now.

I've got a whole afternoon of cruising around TAFE tomorrow [edit: now today], and hopefully the room with the projector will be free. Either way, I'll be in there for at least an hour over lunch. Then in the evening (18 hours from now), I shall hopefully have Victor playtest it and finalise any necessary changes.

Can someone else say, "It'll be ready within 24 hours" for me? I don't wanna jinx it.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You mean beta or the full version? Either is drooooooooooooolinglishy keenizing!!! :) I can't wait, I've been waiting for this mod so eagerly! ^___^
Can't wait!!
CommanderSpleen

*runs around in circle in the name of charity*

KeenRush You mean beta or the full version?
The beta. Basically it's a complete mod acting as a prologue of sorts to the full release.

There's still a hell of a lot of space to fill in that tileset (even in the current non-beta version containing a whole lot more stuff than you'll see in the beta), so I'm not sure how long the full release will be. For now, though, this shall suffice to keep y'all amused for a while.

>Commander Spleen