Birdman Demo

Showcase your completed mod here!
Br1ck

Birdman Demo

Post by Br1ck »

Here's a little bit of a Mod-sort-of-thing made in Keen 4.

http://cosmicoding.com/Keendom/
It's on the front page...

It's mainly a bunch of tile and sprite remakes as well as some strange things done for the end-game sequence.

Thanks Andrew for modkeen 2!
CommanderSpleen

Woog. Wacky.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Woah... impressive. Very classy stuff. I'm experimenting with Keen4 at the moment, and this is giving me some crazy ideas.

Excellent work, Br1ck!

>Commander Spleen
XkyRauh

re: Birdman Demo

Post by XkyRauh »

Hey, neat! Took me a minute to figure out how you did that... you did a nice job with it. :-) I more or less floated over the top of the level and then descended once I hit the left wall--flew behind a cloud, saw the top part of the Dopefish, and then thought it froze (everything stopped) and then I saw the game-end sequence. Did I trigger it incorrectly? I didn't see a guy anywhere...

It's a great demo of what all can be done with the new modding utilities--you should be proud! :-D

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Can't wait to get playing! Sounds awesome!
Edit:

WOAAAAH!!!

This is just awesome. It's brilliant, wow wow wow!!

That kind of stuff is really cool, hope to see more. ;)

Very very good ideas there, not to mention the ending.. N-i-c-e!

By the way, can I put it on my site later?

This kind of "demo" Keen stuff is really cool, I should try something sometime if I get any good idea..
Br1ck

thank you

Post by Br1ck »

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! :-)

Xky, you must have collided with an oracle member, disguised as Herman Toothrot. He's a little difficult to see...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

A cloud attacked me couple of times before I fnished the level, and I noticed the Oracle replacement, it was pretty good idea!
The swimming dopefish was really nice, and those birds (schoolfish replacements) were really creative thing.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Very neat... I liked the way that you put a new High Scores demo in.
CommanderSpleen

More Comments From Spleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Xky, you must have collided with an oracle member, disguised as Herman Toothrot. He's a little difficult to see...
I was wandering around the level for ten minutes avoiding that guy before I realised he was an oracle member.

I forgot to mention last time: The dopefish makes all the sprites flicker when it's on the screen. Looking at the sprite, I don't see any real reason for it, though.

Shall we be expecting more Birdman in the future? This has potential. You've certainly offered a glimpse of the insane stuff yet to come from Keen4+ 'odding.

>Commander Spleen
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

It just goes to show that a mod like this doesn't take forever. Perhaps a full remake is around the corner?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Not sure but I think that 'demo' didn't meant it's beta or preview or anything, I think it meant that that it's.... demo. Like something to show what can be done and just to show cool idea and so on. Argh, can't explain what I mean.. :(
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

foom

Post by xtraverse »

Br1ck, about the ending sequence--

what causes the pictures and text to disappear? In the original games, the only thing they used to make text and pictures disappear (without going to a new page) was the ^B command, but I don't see a single one of those in your finale, and you only have one page.
Br1ck

Post by Br1ck »

xtraverse, heh, I completely overlooked the ^B tag; I used a plain red image to hide the pictures. As for the text, if you print the text twice (same color and place), it'll disappear--no flickering.

Birdman demo will remain just that--a demo. Unless someone can tell me how to get swimming keen in any level...
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

You should be able to manage that by placing the "Swimming Keen" icon in the level in place of the normal Keen icon (have a look at the icon in TED5 that shows where Keen starts -- a different one is used for the Well of Wishes).
Br1ck

Post by Br1ck »

hmm...

I get a "placed an un-cached sprite" about a second after entering the level. Could it be the lack of bubble sprites?
XkyRauh

re: Caching

Post by XkyRauh »

Hmm--we're really gonna hafta stretch our legs a bit to find out just how much room we have to work with in Keen:Galaxy. I hadn't even considered caching as a viable problem. Obviously I don't know any specifics, but I'm guessing we may have to limit levels to certain types of enemy, at the very least. Can't have Arachnuts, Bluebirds, and Berkeloids running around the same level, etc. (?)

--Xky