75%
no :'(
25%

Total votes: 8

Fleexy
Site Admin

Commander Keen at Ballican IV (Keen -4)

Post by Fleexy »

I couldn't restrain myself. I was going to make a lot of Vorticons mods before modding Galaxy. But, I started Commander Keen at Ballican IV. I have one level completely done, and level two needs points and bugfixes. I can only get bridges to disappear, doors, and key doors to work. I can't get anything else to work though. Please watch the full starting "COMMANDER KEEN" scroll. This is beta, hence the "_b1" on the end of the zip. This is far from done, but enjoy! I am releasing this on Mort Day because the levels are Mortimerish.

--Fleexy

BTW CK Guy, can you show me your switch tricks? (Key holders affected by switch, door affected by switch, "Double Toggle", and any other tricks.) I really want to use them.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Good to see your experimenting with Keen 4 modding :) I really like what you did with the bounder, it can be fun to mess with, but also is exceptionally annoying near edges.

The enemies in the world map really shocked me; I had never even considered that possibility. Might make use of that for some world map eye candy or something.

The levels aren't really my type. They feel to random and compact, not enough room to run and jump around. You did make good use of switches, which I liked, but try to cut down on the doors and instead provide some more movement space between 'objectives'.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Thanks!

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks for feedback! It certainly does have a different feel than Keen levels, but this is a hard mod and I naturally make this kind of level. I will try to incorporate your feedback. Thanks again!

--Fleexy

BTW, did you find the four lives?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

A Keen 4 mod already. You're astonishing. I hope you won't let your Vorticons mod die, though.
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

Eh what the heck?
Seriously?

Is this stuff finished? (I dont mean bugwise).
This is the most confusing stuff Ive seen in a while, I suppose its not all bad but it really needs some graphical work man.
Its one of the most confusing masses Ive seen in a long time.

The levels are cramped and I really cant see what anything is supposed to be.
Theres death tiles everywhere which makes me wonder why you even bothered to put certain objects in the same room if you wanted to make them unreachable at that moment.

There are some things I kinda liked though.
Like the different colours for text and such. (like when picking up points).

All in all, I suppose its cool to see someone try to mod Galaxy but at least try a bit harder :P
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

not bad (more then i want to do :p) , a colorfull background
but some (kouch , all i have seen) hazards are hard to see (you don't see the flamethrowers good until it fires , usually to late)

you could work a bit better on the worldmap or don't edit it at all

those boxes with an arrow on (i think slugs) get trapped when reaching a edge , and they can't be shot without jumping and shooting down

you should't put bounders on a precision jump place

and what are those bounder on the worldmap , "eyecandy" or bug?

its fun (mostly the fact its galaxy , and not vorticons) , but the tiles don't fit togethe well , but with some improvements , bugchecking , playtesting (all things were i never heard off XD) the end result will be good . don't stop , i believe in it :)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Pretty much has been said. Generally the background looks interesting, but it is a bit confusing. That Wormouth replacement killed way too fast, it wasn't even possible to see it before it got you. You should slow that one down severely. The slug bugs were already mentioned by shikadi.
I don't like the monsters on the worldmap they don't work correctly I think, and one made the game crash as I ran into it.
I don't think your killy tiles are hard to identify, I just think there are too many possibilities to die overall (like you said a >2000% chance)

I didn't submit a vote yet, too much still has to be done to be sure, but I think you should keep it up (naturally).
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Yeah, the worm mouth on the map did the same for me. I suggest using the Schoolfish for a world map sprite.
those boxes with an arrow on (i think slugs) ... can't be shot without jumping and shooting down
I think that was the point. Makes them a more formidable enemy.
you should't put bounders on a precision jump place
I disagree, as long as the bounder is killable it makes for a good extra challenge (especially when they jump as high as they do here).
BTW, did you find the four lives?
On my last run through the level, I noticed the difference in ground texture and went for it. I'll admit though, with the style of the rest of your level, i was expecting something really evil inside to kill me without being able to even see what it was :P
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I have a slight problem here. If I change one thing to what one person wants, but then I change it away from what someone else likes. This is beta, so only two levels and some graphics are done. The creatures on the world map were a test, and I forgot to take them out in the release. I guess that is what betas are about. Happy modding!

--Fleexy

Paging all people to the EZ-MODKEEN thread!

Ceilick, I think in the next release there will be a Radioactive Mystery Box in that secret area in hard mode (and yes, Radioactive Mystery Box is the real name of those 'things with an arrow.' :) ).
levellass

Post by levellass »

BTW CK Guy, can you show me your switch tricks? (Key holders affected by switch, door affected by switch, "Double Toggle", and any other tricks.) I really want to use them.
Here's how I do it:

Keyholders affected by switch: A keyholder is an animated tile, simply point a switch to the holder and when flicked, the holder will animate.

Doors affected by switch: Exactly the same thing, point your switch to the door.

What is double toggle?

I suffered the error 'No free space in Objarray' when I died on the first level and tried to play it again. This seems to be a rare one though.

Good gracious is this neon! I don't know how else to explain it, it's just... neon. (And argon and xenon too while we're at it.) I had a hard time getting around the levels, just trying to figure out what was what. The levels themselves aren't bad per se, but they are rather hard to navigate for me. Still, this has given me a few ideas for my own mod, which is progressing slower than I would like.
Mink

Post by Mink »

I like your level design so far, Fleexy; it shows a lot of potential. However, I have to agree with levellass that the backgrounds are slightly too "neon" for my taste.

Here's a post by CK Guy from his Keen 5 level pack thread which explains the whole "Double Toggle" trick. It's actually pretty ingenious.
CK Guy wrote:<technicalStuff>

Whenever tiles change Keen 4-6, they have an animate property. This is a number from -128 to 127 which gives the offset to the tile this one animates to. The shut bridge tiles are set to animate to the open bridge tiles, and vice versa. The normal floor is made up of two tiles:

Code: Select all

111111111  -- show up behind Keen
222222222  --+
NNNNNNNNN    | -- Keen cannot pass through these tiles
NNNNNNNNN  --+
I created four new tiles, two look like tile (1) and two look like tile (2). I pointed the animation property for the two tiles that looked like (1) towards each, and same thing with the tiles that looked like (2). If the two tiles that looked like (1) were called (a) and (A) and the two tiles that look like (2) are called (b) and (B) then it works like this.

111111111111OOOOOOOOOaaaaaaaaXXXXXXXXXX11111111111
222222222222OOOOOOOOObbbbbbbbXXXXXXXXXX22222222222
NNNNNNNNNNNN         NNNNNNNN          NNNNNNNNNNN

again, X = closed bridge, O = opened bridge
when the switch is flipped,

111111111111XXXXXXXXXXAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOO11111111111
222222222222XXXXXXXXXXBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOO22222222222
NNNNNNNNNNNN         NNNNNNNN          NNNNNNNNNNN
Hope this is clear!

</technicalStuff>
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaaaaaah. Heh heh.

A simpler explanation, for me, would have been 'If you want to make two bridges controlled by one switch, simply make one long bridge, with its middle tiles looking like normal ground. This can be done by making some bridge tiles that look like normal ground' but your explanation describes how to do things fully.

I have some variants on these I'm using in my mod, should I release a demonstration release?