V2 project - Extra Tilesets

Completed patches for Keen1.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Which source Fleexy? I have the old DOS source banging about if anyone wants it. (It's in three separate files, a clue t how bloated it is.)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

How's the new version coming along? My mod's going to lose some realism and the game if I have to work within the current sprite size confinement.
lemm

Post by lemm »

This will allow any size sprite to be blitted.

Unfortunately, the game will not draw them if the left border or the top border of the sprite is >2 tiles beyond the screen boundary. Not so sure if that's work aroundable but we will see.

(It's also orthologous to the v2 set of patches so use it in whatever mod you want.)

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/omp/sprb.zip
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Is the K3 version compatible with that platform patch you made for me?
lemm

Post by lemm »

There's a K3 version?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/omp/xtkeen3.zip

That? I don't think it would be too hard to port it to K3 if that's not it.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Excuse my silliness as I am 100% sure that this has already been explained, though I'm unable to find it anywhere.
I can't start up the game with this patch. I'm 100% certain that it's caused by the patch as the game works like a charm without it. The game loads up till the one moment screen, then it crashes and leaves an incomprehensible error overlayed by gibberish. When this happens to me it's always due to missing files related to patches. I think it's because I don't have the tilesets set up properly, but I have no idea how to do that. I'm using the Keengraph version bundled with the keen 1 V2 package and 4 animation frames. Can anyone give me a guide on how to set it up that even an idiot could understand please? :)
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

You need to have a TILEHEAD.CK1 and at least one .tls tileset file. Also, my Tileset Tool program is purpose made for making V2 tilesets. Iirc, the KeenGraph feature to make tilesets was a stop-gap measure and may not be maintained. (KG is still essential for editing other graphics, though.) I'm not sure where to start on an explanation (especially since there isn't an editor for TILEHEAD yet) but if you download my palette patch it includes a working set of V2 files with example tilesets (just Keen1 conversions, one with some palette changes) and TILEHEAD. There's also built in documentation in TilesetTool, though it may be a bit sparse right now.

Edit: You need a hex editor to edit TILEHEAD, one that supports editing text in the file. If you open it up in one, you should see the list of tilesets. Each one corresponds to a level, and if your new tileset name is shorter than what's there, just write 0s over the rest on the hex side. I am going to start on a TILEHEAD editor ASAP now, as I hadn't realized how ridiculous this is.
levellass

Post by levellass »

KeenGraph can scan tileset entries from the LIST file and make a tilehead, without importing graphics, however, would people appreciate a built in tilehead editor? It could be made so you just click on KeenGraph and it opens your tilehead file and lets you add new tilesets and suchlike.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

levellass wrote:KeenGraph can scan tileset entries from the LIST file and make a tilehead, without importing graphics...
I didn't know that, but here's an editor anyway.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

This tool is really dang neat but my problem still persists. Strange, it's not caused by a faulty tilehead, I only have 1 tileset as of now and that tileset is set to be used for all levels.
However, the tileset I have has the standard tileset dimensions, it's not the extended 910 tile tileset that I should probably be using. Could that possibly cause the game to not start up?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Nospike wrote:This tool is really dang neat but my problem still persists. Strange, it's not caused by a faulty tilehead, I only have 1 tileset as of now and that tileset is set to be used for all levels.
However, the tileset I have has the standard tileset dimensions, it's not the extended 910 tile tileset that I should probably be using. Could that possibly cause the game to not start up?
That could be it. Tileset Tool only saves 910 tiles x 8 frame tilesets as I found that the patch doesn't seem to use the tile count and frame count fields. levelass will have to confirm how KG handles these.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeedily; the patch, like the default game, needs a tileset of the right size.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

I've got a major problem here, and I'm kind of stumped...
I'm attempting to create a roughly 10x10 block of animating tiles in the title screen level. Now, from what Lass has told me about Vorticons tiles always animating, this should be no problem, right?
The animations are each 4 frames long. For the sake of simplicity, I have put the tiles in their intended final form in each animation frame into the .tls, set the animation from the first frame onward in Tileset Tool for all the tiles, and everything should be fine.
But for some reason, the third and fourth frames instead produce gibberish. I have absolutely zero idea what causes this because everything should be working, and it's making me furious. The only suspicion I've got is that all the faulty frames seem to lie in the extra tile space that the 910 tile patch gives. I could move it for now and maybe the problem would be gone, but eventually I'm going to need this to work.
Has anyone else had this problem?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Very odd, can't say I've ever seen it. I'd be interested in looking at the setup (Graphics could be stripped or something.) just to see what the hey is going on.