HELP! CAN'T EXPORT GRAPHICS OR ANY BMP FILES IN COMMANDER KEEN6

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
DYINGFORSPRITE

HELP! CAN'T EXPORT GRAPHICS OR ANY BMP FILES IN COMMANDER KEEN6

Post by DYINGFORSPRITE »

Hey there Keeners, please help!

I can't export any graphics from the game to draw new sprites for commander keen6.

I am using a 64 bit version of Windows 10.
Referring to Ceilicks modding tutorial, I have to drop modkeen.exe onto DOSbox.exe (my version is called: 0.74).

And then I have to type:
modkeen -episode=6 -export -bmpdir="BMP"
(All of the data is in the same Folder: modkeen, Keen6c, one folder that is called BMP, and CWSDPMI.)
I have decompressed Keen6c with unlzexe to Keen6.exenew and deleted the "new" so there shouldn't be any problems.
Anyhow, Dosbox says "Can't open .\Keen6.EXE for reading!"

I also tried Keengraph although I don't know that much on how I should use it.
I simply opened it and typed:
-export -episode=6 -bmpdir='BMP'
then, it closed, I looked into the BMP folder and nothing happened.

I love your mods, and I honor your creativity. I'd be relieved if there is any way to export that godamn graphics from Commander keen6.
When nothing helps, do you know if there is a certain kind of work around? Like, for example, downloading the png pictures from the keenWiki page, draw them, and then get it into Abiathar...? Just another thought.
I become desperate with trying to customize the sprites for commander keen6...

Please help.
Nisaba

Re: HELP! CAN'T EXPORT GRAPHICS OR ANY BMP FILES IN COMMANDER KEEN6

Post by Nisaba »

hey there and welcome to the K:M forums,

thanks for your detailed issue description! this helps a lot. so let's see...
It seems you've done everything right so far. but I'm not so sure about your Keen6(c?).exe version. can you please tell me, what kind of Keen6 version you're exactly using (1.0, 1.4, 1.5, EGA, CGA, DEMO)? normally the letter "C" indicates a CGA version.

in the meantime you could test some things. (tried to reproduce your issue and maybe discovered a solution):
  1. rename Keen6c.exe into Keen6.exe and retry the extracting process once again.
    or alternatively:
  2. before renaming your file from Keen6.exenew into Keen6.exe make sure to remove the orig Keen6.exe from this very folder. afterwards retry the extracting process once again.

please don't forget to post your results.

happy modding

ps.: for further reading check this: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/ModKeen and this: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keengraph
DYINGFORSPRITE

Re: HELP! CAN'T EXPORT GRAPHICS OR ANY BMP FILES IN COMMANDER KEEN6

Post by DYINGFORSPRITE »

Problem solved!

Actually, it needs to be Ck6 version 1.4 to use modkeen for graphic exports.
Thank you for that fast response!