ModKeen 2.0.1 released.

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Oh that's easy; I'm pretty sure I can add any number of extra frames you want, the problem is that I have to do manually what ModKeen does automatically. (That is, first edit the k.lst file to add the extra bitmaps, this writes them into the EGALATCH; then I have to edit EGAHEAD to add the locations of the extra bitmaps in the graphics files, *this8 is the hard part because every time you edit a bitmap it changes all the locations of every bitmap after.)
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

You can do anything automatically if you write a program for that.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, but can it be done in BASIC?

I have no Perls of wisbom with which to function, I just don't have the expressive power in BASIC to construct my targets.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

It'd be possible in Pascal (CKPatch's source code language) or C/C++ (ModKeen/LModKeen's source code language).
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm afraid I can't do that; I know not how. For now, should I need it, I shall do it by hand.
MrBlack

Post by MrBlack »

OK can someone please give me a step-by-step, exactly-what-to-write in dosbox way of getting into Modkeen and editing tiles/sprites for Keen 1, 2 & 3?
Mink

Post by Mink »

MrBlack wrote:OK can someone please give me a step-by-step, exactly-what-to-write in dosbox way of getting into Modkeen and editing tiles/sprites for Keen 1, 2 & 3?
The easiest way is to first copy the Keen files of the episode you are using into your ModKeen directory. Then open DOSBox, and get to your ModKeen directory. Once there, type

Code: Select all

modkeen -export -episode=N
You need to replace N with the number of the episode you are using. The graphics should then be extracted to your ModKeen directory. Hope this helps.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I have an alternative program to Modkeen, which comes with a small pre-formatted text file for importing\exporting, it can be found here: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KEENGRAPH.zip