It won't work!

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
mortimer

It won't work!

Post by mortimer »

Very helpful title, I know.

I had a problem with the csdpmi*b.zip file, but got it sorted ok. Now I try to use modkeen, and it comes up with an error message, which says

"Error - Cannot read Egahead.ck1"

or something close to that. Any suggestions? It always worked before, but then I got a new windows seven - which I don't reccomend.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Run it in dosbox.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

I am.

Though I tried it in cmd, and it had even more problems. The exact dosbox message is:

error - can't open C:\games\keen\mod\egahead.ck1

Any other suggestions?
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

try deleting the suspect file, with backup in tow, and paste your backup in there as a replacement. For some weird reason this happens with some of my sprite replacements (dunno if the egahead could be solved the same way)
levellass

Post by levellass »

See if you're file is marked as 'read only' this causes problems I find, at least with Keengraph.
KEENapplesauce

I hate error messages!

Post by KEENapplesauce »

I have v.2.0.1 of Modkeen and I'm starting the program in DOSBox v. 0.74. Before i can start it, im trying to import a game using the format given (Im doing Keen 4, so I'm typing after the directory root: "modkeen -import -episode=4 -backup"). This is the first thing I'm doing and it is required to open the program in the first place. It gives me the following error message: "ERROR: .\KEEN4E.exe must be version 1.4, and must be uncompressed." Well ,it already is not compressed, and it is Version 1.4. I also had a problem with the cwsdpmi file but i got it fixed. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

You have to export the files, not import them. Modkeen will then extract a bunch of BMP graphics. Edit them and then import them back.
KEENapplesauce

Not quite!

Post by KEENapplesauce »

No, the problem wasn't with import/export in the first place. I haven't done any editing yet, because i haven't been able to open the program yet! Here it is from start to finish...

I start by opening DOSBox and navigating to the correct directory. The KEEN4E.exe file is in the folder along with the modkeen file, and the CWSDPMI*7 file. I floow the instructions that the help section gives: tyoe the import/export command followed by the episode and whether to backup or not.
I assumed that to open the file, I should use IMPORT, in order to bring the files in from the episode. So, here's what i type (what I typed is in .bold, what the command line already says is not in bold.

C:/{my file path directory}/modkeen -import -episode=4 -backup

It displays the Error message i mentioned earlier.

These are all of the contents of the folder that MODKEEN is contained in:
-CWSDPMI
-KEEN4E
-modkeen

The problem is with the fact that it is telling me that the KEEN4E file needs to be v.4.1, and uncompressed, both of which it already is.
Draik

Post by Draik »

You need to uncompress it with UNLZEXE, not just take it out of a ZIP file. Not sure if that's the problem, but I assume it's the misunderstanding here.

EDIT: also, you do want export. Export = take files from game and put them in folder, import = bring files back into game.

EDIT 2: you also need all the other Keen 4 files
KEENapplesauce

Ok, I'l try it!

Post by KEENapplesauce »

Thanks a bunch, I'll try it...
KEENapplesauce

Post by KEENapplesauce »

Now its just telling me it "cant open the file for reading"
KEENapplesauce

Post by KEENapplesauce »

Never mind it was just with keen 6, keen 4 and i think 5 are working fine...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Ok, now I have another problem;

"Error: Can't open font bitmap c:\games\keen\bmp\1fon0000.bmp"

In dosbox, file locations are correct. What now?
levellass

Post by levellass »

You could try using keengraph; it should work outside of dosbox and exports\imports very similar to modkeen. (For Keen 1-3 only though.) It even takes the same commands. (It can be got here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KEENGRAPH.zip )

Possibly, though this is a distant possibility, you've set the file's attributes to 'read only'? I know that makes the devil of errors.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

thanks anyway, but I've figured out what was wrong, and it was (mainly) user failure.

But, who'd have guessed it, I have ANOTHER problem! When I import my sprites (Keen1), which look fine on mspaint, they come out wrong: for example, blue becomes red, and yellow turns lavender. Even colors which are used in the origonal game are all wrong! Is this something to do with 256 color? Probably mspaint, though...?

Also, I can't start a level without keen falling through the floor, and the sprite size hasn't changed...