The Neural Stunner

A catch-all of miscellaneous Keen:Modding utilities.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I don't know if this fits theneuralstunner, but I'd love something that helps with changing those coordinates in in 5Sprites.txt when you changed the size of a sprite. That would definitely help, because right now there is just too much guessing involved.
Do not worry Tulip, my annoyance with this has spurred me to some action on this, my next KeenGraph will do this automatically, but if you're especially annoyed I can whip up a small utility to read your sprite bitmaps and automatically adjust the 5sprites file for you. Just ask!

I like this, it'd be nice to see something for the Yorp\bwb messages in Keen 1-3, maybe even the end texts, and of course the text messages in Keens 4-6

A question: I know how to alter most text boxes size, and where their text is read from, could this be incorporated into TNS to allow us to break the default limits to how much (Or little) text appears in certain windows?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

K-sprite does this? I had that program for so long that I forgot what it does. I downloaded it back when I started Keen1 modding and saw no use for it. Maybe I'll try if it still works.

When you want to stick to patches, why not add the sprite strength and behaviour patches like for keen 1-3 also for keen 4-6 as far as we know about them. I'll sure change some of those values in the end.
Mink

Post by Mink »

levellass wrote:I like this, it'd be nice to see something for the Yorp\bwb messages in Keen 1-3, maybe even the end texts, and of course the text messages in Keens 4-6

A question: I know how to alter most text boxes size, and where their text is read from, could this be incorporated into TNS to allow us to break the default limits to how much (Or little) text appears in certain windows?
Doesn't this program already handle the yorp and BwB messages in Keens 1-3 along with almost all of the text in Keens 4-6? I hope to add end text editing for Keens 1-3 soon.

And yes, I'd be very interested in learning what you know about text box sizes, string length, and where text is read from. Would this be for Vorticons or Galaxy?

Tulip: Keen 4-6 sprite patches will be coming in the next version, hopefully.
levellass

Post by levellass »

*Slaps self* Why so it does!

And yes, I'd be very interested in learning what you know about text box sizes, string length, and where text is read from. Would this be for Vorticons or Galaxy?
Both. I don't know *all* the text boxes, mostly because I haven't needed to look them up, but any textbox you can name I have the details for. (A lot of patches can be found in the Patch Index in text patches and such, the details, once you get used to them, are simple enough to manipulate.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I nice feature you could implement without too much trouble is the speeds patches. I noticed that I would use it when I tried to change the speed of the jack in Keen 3. The speed patches for keen 1-3 are complete in the patch index as far as I know.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Would it be so easy though? Each sprite has a different set of speeds and speed labels, I am not sure how hard it would be.
Mink

Post by Mink »

I'll look into it. That's definitely something I want to add. Besides, I don't think it will be too hard.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Download link is dead.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

And still is.
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221 ... tunner.exe

I think it was just the .exe and readme file, right? Fortunately I downloaded it a while back.

I wonder what's happened to Mink lately? Haven't seen him in at least a year or two.

Oh and here's the readme.

Code: Select all

___         __
   |   |       |  |
  |    |_______|  |_
  |                 |
 |           __    _|
 |        __|  |  |
|       _|     |__|
|      |
|     _|
|____|

The Neural Stunner
version 0.2 Beta
by Mink

System Requirements:
This program requires the Microsoft .NET 2.0 (or higher) Framework.

Features:
*Create Commander Keen patch files for use with CKPatch
*Currently supports version 1.31 of Keens 1, 2, 3 and version 1.4 of Keens 4, 5, 6
*Patches were: found by me, taken from the Patch Index, or taken from various mods

Usage:
*All of the commands should be pretty self explanatory
*When you save a patch file, a batch file will be automatically created. Run this to see your changes in-game.

Version History:
Version 0.2 - Sprite options added for episodes 1-3
              Scrolling story text editor added for episodes 4-6
	      Released on 19 July 2009
Version 0.1 - Initial Release 
	      Released on Keen Day 2009 (2009-3-14)

Special Thanks:
*Bryan Rodgers for CKPatch
*Levellass and Levellord for the Patch Index
*Xtraverse for Patchotron - the inspiration for this program

If you wold like to report a bug or if you have any trouble or questions, you can contact me (Mink) at the PCKF or Keen:Modding.  I can also be reached via email at mink314@gmail.com.

***end of readme.txt***
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Cheers Gridlock! I've been looking around for this for a while now, I don't know how I lost it in the first place!

It is a bit of an oddity that Mink hasn't been around for quite some time without notice, but the same could be said for about 30% of the keen community.
It's hard to tell whether these people have left or whether they just "have too much on", as most of us already do.