TSMusic

A catch-all of miscellaneous Keen:Modding utilities.
Flyingmouse

TSMusic

Post by Flyingmouse »

Can anyone post a download link for TSMusic? I've checked KeenWiki and it 's not provided in the article...

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Link? Or should this topic be deleted?
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

I just uploaded a version with the source code. Possibly it was so hard for you to find as it's called TSRMusic, not TSMusic! I've renamed the wiki page.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

With a particular combination of tracks I'm using for a mod, there seems to be a glitch in which the map level takes on an instrument from one of the in-level songs, making it sound terrible and out of tune.

Possible theories so far:

a) Missing an instruction in the DRO capture via DOSBox

b) Using channel 0 which apparently causes issues with games that use AdLib sound effects - I wouldn't expect this to be an issue in Keen 1, but for all I know there could be some inherent issue in the format along these lines

c) TSRMus bug, my least preferred scenario

I'll be experimenting in the near future to see if certain changes and re-recordings will solve the problem. (Or just keeping all the instruments similar for each track.) But if anyone has some ideas in the meantime, that would be pretty cool.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Using channel 0 definitely won't cause problems with Keen 1.

It's very, very easy to lose OPL instructions when capturing in DOSBox, so that's probably quite likely if your source is from a capture. This is because sometimes games set the instruments way before the music actually starts. DOSBox is supposed to write out the current state of all the OPL registers when the recording begins, but for some reason this doesn't always seem to work.

If you can run the Camoto command-line tools you can try using "gamemus" to read the .dro and write it back out again. This should cause any missing instrument instructions to be restored, although likely with a zero value which may or may not be what you're after. But it should at least allow the song to be consistent.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

Wow, my TSR Music app is still going :) good to know :D

PS. Reducing the cycles of DOSBox might help.
CommanderSpleen

The music was captured directly from Adlib Tracker II. For all I know it could be setting the instrument data well before pressing the play key. There is a separate playback utility, so I'll try capturing from that to make things more predictable.

Is it fairly straightforward to remove silence from the start of a DRO/IMF and start it exactly on the first actual playback instruction if capturing is started a few seconds before playing the track so timing isn't an issue?

Skipping the Camoto plan for the moment unless it can be made to run with libpng++ 0.2.5 instead of 0.2.7.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

You could try DRO Trimmer to remove delays at the start and end of the recording.

If you skip Camoto Studio and the other libraries, and only compile libgamecommon then libgamemusic, then you won't need libpng at all and you'll get the gamemus utility.
CommanderSpleen

Ah, well gamemus compiled successfully so I'll try that if the DRO Trimmer idea doesn't work.