to-be Keen 4-6 editor

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

*tempts*

C'mon! Do it! I'll give you money, cars and easy women!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, you'll get plenty of them!*

* When we are rich and influential. May take some time..
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

OK, first of all, remove "easy women" from that sentence. I'd hope you know me better than that.

Cars... I'm not that much of a car guy either. One new car would be sufficient. And make sure it has cupholders.

Money... pay off my student loans, and you got yourself a deal! :P
z-one

Post by z-one »

That'd be quiet an expensive mod :D
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

It'd be worth it.

On the other hand, we could just kidnap his girl and hold her ransom...
XkyRauh

bzzt, wrong

Post by XkyRauh »

<Activate Administrative Loudspeaker> Please stop going off topic, and please stop harassing Ilsoap. :-) Thanks. </Loudspeaker>
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

on topic

Post by Ceilick »

i found a bug in the editor when importing and exporting. The Y axis seems to change by one digit so that when i set the sprite, for example, to (41,28) the game loads it with (41,27). Its easy enough to just add 1 to the Y axis, but ive been working on my world map level and now it seems to change the Y axis by 1 on some sprites, and leave it alone on others.
z-one

Post by z-one »

Something like this has been reported in the PCKF forums, but I haven't looked into it yet. Could you tell me which sprites are the exceptions?
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

up untill yesterday it was only the sprites for doorways, switches, and gem holders. Enemy sprite placement worked fine. But now its completely random, changing a few enemy sprites, changing a few other kinds of sprites, and leaving others of the same sprite alone.
z-one

Post by z-one »

it may depend on their placement then...
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

OK... this might be something I should have opened a new topic for, but is there at least a way to put the music from Keen5 or Keen6 in the Keen4 engine? Even that would help.
XkyRauh

hmm...

Post by XkyRauh »

We have the tools to put any IMF file anywhere we want, as long as size limits are obeyed. All you'd need is a way to rip the original IMFs out of each episode, to do the swapping.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, there seems to be some problems with sprites.. Two sprites just changed to another sprites and one disappeared (seems the editor didn't save the data 100% correctly or something). :\
z-one

Post by z-one »

I'll look into that at the weekend. Until then I just don't have the time...

Could you send me a file and instructions how to edit it to make the error visible?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

It was Keen 5, and a horizontally moving slicestar disappeared and two blocker sprites turned into platforms that just drop down when you step on them.
Ah!
While writing this message I just checked the level in the editor again. It seems that the sprite number itself has increased. The slicestar isn't visible just because I've ran the level on easy mode, and the sprite number has increased by one, thus making the sprite the next sprite that only appear when playing with medium or hard difficult level. And the next sprite from blocker sprite seems to be the down-going platform!
They seem to be placed at coordinates (7, 25), (18, 25), and (24, 25) in the editor. The level is the level #1, "Ion Vent System".
Edit: I've resized the original level to size 64x32.

Oh, could you make it so that along with the numbers it would show something like 'x=33' and 'tile=239'? So, some text along with the numbers in the bottom of the screen.
And, it'd be good if it could show the number of the tile or sprite the cursor is currently hovering on, in the tile/sprite selecting window..