Minor change to TedSetup

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
adurdin
Site Founder

Minor change to TedSetup

Post by adurdin »

I've just released v1.02 of TedSetup, which has one additional feature to make it easier to rescue TED5 projects when all you have is the CUSTMAPS/GAMEMAPS file and the MAPHEAD file: the /maphead:filename command-line parameter will cause TedSetup to look in filename for MAPHEAD data instead of from the .exe.

The new version is still at http://files.keenmodding.org/tedsetup.zip

(For those who don't know, v1.01 was a change to eliminate the need for FIXMHEAD.EXE, as the latest release of CKxPATCH works with the CKxMHEAD.OBJ files directly)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Sounds quite useful. :)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmmm! Nice! Could you make a TEDSETUP that does transparent lzexe decompression like CKxPATCH 0.9.0 does? That would make the editting nice and simple ... no extra file floating around ...
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

There's not much point: for a single Keen 4-6 mod, you'll only need to run TEDSETUP once; after that you can delete the uncompressed Keen exe if you no longer need it.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Oh, yeah. *sees Andy's point*

Anyway, this could also be used to load other peoples level packs into TED5 -- that's what I'm doing; I'll say in the docs for my level pack how to use this version of TEDSETUP to load them up ...

This Keen tool will make my teeth whiter, my breakfast cereal crunchier, and just a better person in general! (read: Great util!)

Could you release the source code, please?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Yes, release the source code, developments like this give hope to those of us who dream of a TED5 that runs of XP

Of course I can't run TED5 but if Adurdin improved it, it must be great.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

There's something wrong with this newest version of TEDSETUP

In the patchfiles it creates, it says

%ckmhead ckmhead.obj

instead of

%ckmhead ckXmead.obj
Frenkel

Post by Frenkel »

levellord wrote:Yes, release the source code, developments like this give hope to those of us who dream of a TED5 that runs of XP

Of course I can't run TED5 but if Adurdin improved it, it must be great.
I wonder why nobody has ported Ted5 to Windows XP yet :o.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ I wonder that too. And the source is released, right? So, someone, get on business! :)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Why? Would you really do anything with it? I've released the source for other utils I've made, and I don't think anyone has actually done anything with it at all. So it seems rather pointless to me.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Space.

Post by levellord »

Well I've been trying, especially with ModKeen; but my puny programming skills always result in my faliure!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

adurdin wrote:
Why? Would you really do anything with it? I've released the source for other utils I've made, and I don't think anyone has actually done anything with it at all. So it seems rather pointless to me.
*MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR DREDGING UP OF EXTINCT TOPIC*

I just saw and downloaded tedsetupsrc.zip from files.keenmodding.org ... How long has that been up there?
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

CK Guy wrote:I just saw and downloaded tedsetupsrc.zip from files.keenmodding.org ... How long has that been up there?
Quite a while. That comment of mine you quoted clearly preceded the adaptations of ModKeen that people have done, too.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

:|
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

This is cool though. It gives me a bit more hope at making a Keen 4-6 editor. I tried writing simple decarmackizing routines a few months ago and failed entirely :-( Now I can just look at Andy's! (And credit him in the docs, of course. Hmm, now that I think of it, I don't think that I mentioned that I looked at the DOS KeenWright source early in the writing of CKludge/Mindbelt. Expect a nice little "thank you" in next release's documentation.)

And ShadowMaster - does this "end of creative output" you mentioned a while ago mean no EModKeen? (TRANSLATION: Would my editor have to directly manipulate the GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files, or could I just manipulate the decompressed MAPTEMP and MAPTHEAD relying on your program to do the compression?)

I have a feeling that I just brought this thread past the boundary of being off-topic.