TED5 - Are more than 18 maps possible in Keen 6?

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
Blorbatrix

TED5 - Are more than 18 maps possible in Keen 6?

Post by Blorbatrix »

Hi,

Can somebody tell me whether or not you can get more than the standard amount of levels when modding Keen6 in TED5?

There are a total of 18 levels including the highscores. When I try to add a 19th level it appears as map Nr. 19 in the map list, but is inaccessible through infoplane entrances on the world map and the F10 + W cheat aswell, which only allows me to input levels 1 through 18.

Any ideas here? I put $C013 on my infoplane entrance, that should equal 19 in decimal, right?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

First up, welcome to Keen Modding!

You can get more levels, but it can get a bit tricky. The challenge comes from game limits (rather than the level editor), so we'll need to do some patching. Levellass has written a great introduction to patching at PCKF.

The specific patches you'll need can be found at KeenWiki, specifically Lowest and highest levels accessible from map in Patch:Levels. As it says, in addition to adding the level in your map editor and placing entrances to it in the infoplane, you need to patch the "maximum level" value and give the level a valid name and song.

Finally, and you might already know this, but we have newer editors than TED5. I'm partial to my own, Abiathar, but there are other graphical Windows-based ones too!
Blorbatrix

Post by Blorbatrix »

Thanks man, that helps a lot :)
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

hello and welcome!

...you can also navigate your way through to this Wiki to Levellass' Keen Patching Tutorial.
despite that, take a look over here as well: Level name tool. It's a very useful tool and I'm sure a K6 version will be released soon.

And finally, as Fleexy already mentioned, you should definitely give Abiathar a shot. not only because it is the most up to date Level-editor but also because there is a in-depth and well documented wiki-entry, a blow-by-blow How-To-PDF, and some very helpful youtube beginner tutorials!
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

so here is the deal (some abiathar experiences required!):
  1. * open up abiathar
    * navigate to your map-level
    * press [alt]+[3]
    * define a worldmap (and a flag receive) ID for entrance
    * insert that very infoplane right onto your map
    * save it

* use levellass' LNAME tool for creating a level name and entrance text
    * create a patch file (abiathar also created one for you)
    * insert the patch output of LNAME

* do also insert the following lines to your patch file, so you can use [F10]+[W] in order to warp up to level 20

Code: Select all

#Levels F10 + W accesses -Keen 6
%patch $75B9 $14
the LNAME tool (for Keen 4-6) can be downloaded here: dropbox.com/LNAMES.zip