Norp the Yorp I level design

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

Hmm. This level looks pretty good as it is, it's very self-contained. I can't really think of anything in particular that could be improved at the moment.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Got to admit, this is one of my more favorate levels.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

This is really minimalist level design--but it achieves exactly what it needs to achieve; it introduces the player to a new danger or two, while giving them some extra (free) ammo and advancing the plot.

If we made the level larger, we'd have room for some more exploration, sure, but depending on how large the later levels get, it never hurts to have several smaller levels like this. Compare them to the small domes in Keen1.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Finally, a bigger map!

The large empty area at the end of the level makes me wonder if Xtraverse got bored.

I really like the cavemen in the beginning. That section of the level is designed to make Norp panic and run. It's a little startling if you aren't expecting it. The cavemen can jump on the platforms too.

Stealthy's Notes
-There are 80 shots in the beginning of the map, and 32 needed.
-Gems are organized in little pockets
-There are points galore to the person who gets in the secret area
-Deadly cave men in the beginning, rows of candy canes and a large empty area later
Stealthy's Questions

Code: Select all

-Shots-overkill? (80-32=52 per life)
-Points-overkill?
-There are a lot of long and straight sections in this level. What would you add if anything to make it more interesting?
-Favorite & Least Favorite things about the level?
That's all for now.
Stealthy71088
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I like that this larger map doesn't use every last tile of space--the empty spot in the middle on the right lends a feeling of asymmetry to the map, fooling the player's expectations... Helps the maps avoid that "square" feeling that we all run into.

I think the "pockets" the gems are tucked into could do with a bit of expanding--this mod's done a great job of segmenting its levels into smaller sections, but this example is a bit much for me. Maybe having more expansive areas for each of the gems, a full screen or two of scenery, beyond the simple compartment.

On the other hand, I do like the upper section with the candy and Gargs--gives a very "open" feel to that part of the level, especially with the classic-style ceiling boundary.

Really, if we just made the level a bit larger to the left, expanded the blue gem's area out that way, and put the red gem's area up and to the right, more near the secret area, leaving the upper left part of the level as explorable/red herring material, we could have a bit more player immersion.

The secret area is ridiculous. :) Absolutely ridiculous.
EricMushroomWilson

I think the platforms in the large room you start in are a bit homogenous, perhaps some of them could be shortened/lengthened? Although it's not necessarily that big a problem, and their positions relative to each other do seem to vary a bit.

The large amount of ammo could be an issue. A large amount is helpful in order to fight the cavemen, but there's probably too much, especially since Norp already has some ammo going into this level.

The large empty space is a bit much. Perhaps a few points could be placed at the far right side, and some platforms, dangers and possibly enemies could be added leading up to them?

The secret area is definitely interesting... I think I was a bit confused about it at first.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If you count the tiles, you'll find that the empty space can't be gotten to by Keen. The player would probably be curious about it, but he or she would never be able to get up there without God Mode. It would be a good spot for a cameo or a message written in Standard Galactic or something- why build the player's curiousity up for no reason at all? I tried to do things like that with the pogo in the Yorphius II level pack. The first half of the game is finding the pogo. The other half is using it to explore those curiousities.
EricMushroomWilson

Oh, you're right. It doesn't look it can be accessed. My mistake.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

A little asymmetry never hurt anybody, anyway. :)
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

I like the use of lighting in this level: it starts off very dark, with a single light illuminating a pile of shots, then gets brighter as the player climbs. Makes the level seem taller than it really is, and gives the lower areas a wonderful ambiance, very keen1 shrine-ish.

The biggest fault I find with this level is the staggering regularity; even though there are enemies to break it up, I can easily imagine grabbing the rayguns, luring all of the cavement down to the bottom of the first area, and spend the rest of the level traversing long, straight sections. A bit of background, and maybe some more creative distribution of points, would have helped a lot.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Sorry for taking so long to post. I've been really busy.

The Next Level

I remember playing this level. I found it pretty tough, and there was one part I hated. For some reason, when I entered the ice cannon room, I was hit by at least one ice ball and disapeered. The Keen Sprite was simply gone. The camera was frozen, but the proper sounds were made when I tried to move Keen. I had to restart via title screen, which was a pain because I had finally gotten into that room.

This level poses some interesting questions about level design.

Stealthy's questions

Code: Select all

-How much back tracking is too much?
-The drops in the garg section are large enough that you can't see the gargs once they've fallen. But since sprites don't move when they are off screen by so many tiles, the gargs are often still there to kill you. Would you modify this? And how?
-Guard bots- you can't jump over those things! That was the worst part of the level for me.
-Points- is the amount and the way that they are just spread all over the place irresponsible? It's more than enough to support Keen on this level.
-Favorite/least favorite things about the level.
I like that secret area. I didn't even realize it was there until I looked at it when I was typing up these questions. By the time the player gets down there, he or she is just trying to find the exit, and forgets completely about the other side of the maze.

This level may be evil, but the computer chip at the bottom of the level makes the trouble worth it.

The keys near the cavemen are positioned very irregularly compared to the rest of the level. This may suggest that the secret area was put in as an afterthought. The green key makes sure the player battles the cavemen at least a little bit. I don't see much point in the blue key. It's in a nice area that could be used as refuge from the cavemen, but it really isn't neccessary.

Hopefully this'll make up for not posting for awhile.
-Stealthy71088
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Oh man I hate this level, I never intended to make it quite so evil :P
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

-Maybe, instead of having one wall going down the middle, have it kind of zig-zag, so that each room is a different length.

-More stairs and towers to climb around on would have worked a little better, rather than having just a bunch of flat hallways.

-Items could have been scattered more on the places where Keen climbs up or down (like at the fall before the cavemen), and less placed in the hallways.

-The yorps are just unfair. They don't add any real challenge, since you can't die from them. They're just annoying. A few would be okay, but that many is just bad.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I like the sheer frustration factor those Yorps provide,much like in some parts of Keen 1, a very reminiscient feeling.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I like the yorps too. You can always shoot them if you have too. What really annoys me is the butlerbots. Put them in mass, and you might as well restart the game. I'm glad you didn't put any more in that section, Xtra.

Fun fact: When I first played through this mod I ended up skipping through this level and doing all the others. I found it that difficult! It is a neat idea though, Xtra.