Norp the Yorp I level design

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

This is simply a neat setup
You would never expect the secret area to be here the way it is set up. The level is obviously built for the purpose of concealing it.

I like the pit that the gargs are near. It's a nice place for them to charge and jump at Keen. They can still be dangerous if they fall down into the pit as well.

The only real negative I see in this level is the blue key. It's much too easy to get. It's in your path in the process of getting the other key. If you took out the blue key and door, it wouldn't impact the level at all. I wish a separate section was built for the blue key.

Finally, the bottom area seems a little empty. It might be a good place for a vorticon.

Post away!
Stealthy71088
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

My only real complaint here is the complete lack of ammo. How can a player with zero shots hope to access the secret area? There's no way for those Gargs to be avoided.

Granted, as we've witnessed in earlier levels, the player's got no shortage of ammo at this point... I just find it unusual that there's not a single shot on this level!

If any level begged for scroll-locks the way they exist in Keen:Galaxy, it's this level. :) I agree that it's a neat layout--the first time I found the secret, I said "Very clever!"
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

You know, I wish there were more shadow tiles in this level. The effect looks really nice near the teleporter. If a light switch was added, it would look really cool, as always.
levellass

Post by levellass »

That is a point I wholly agree with.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I tried to start another level, but beyond the pogo seems to be messed up. All the map links loop back to the list of links. Click the link to the picture of the last level, and then click a mod to see what I mean.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Xtra is fixing this, be patient.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Holy crap, it's been over six months, and this thread is still gummed up. :(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Indeed, and Xtra hasn't fixed Dosclassics either, how ver annoying.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

ckguy

Post by ckguy »

At first I thought, 'Did you make an angry Keen sprite just for this?!'

Then I realized that it was probably one of the 'Keen is impatient' sprites from XkyKeen4. His face looks kind of ... blank. I'm sure you've thought about this and there's probably not a good way to get all of the other facial features into a few pixels. I'm not even sure how this looks when it's the size that appears in the game.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

What do I need to fix?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Yeah, but I've been crazy with college stuff for awhile too, ha ha.

Well, if you look at the levels on your site, you'll find that the graphics are all mixed up together, particularily on the map levels. It's impossible to tell where one level is, and pretty difficult to figure out what's in a level assuming you get in it.

Edit: Actually I just looked at it and the levels are gone. The sprites are all in a corner, but the levels are simply MIA
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I don't think they ever worked in Firefox actually, but looking at the levels in IE it seems that every mod is using Xkykeen1's graphics, heh. I'll look into it.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Xtra, I can't seem to get a lot of your links in the downloads section to work either. (Dosclassics was designed for IE?)