Which and Why?

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

episodes

Post by XkyRauh »

More goodies:

Keen Dreams

- unique jump sprite handling
- collection of items is "optional" to a certain extent

Keen 4

- two(?) enemies that get back up after being shot
- lots of extra tiles set aside for background objects (omg statue)
- two extra Keen frames for alternate idle sequence (mooning!)
- alternate method of playing a level(s) (wetsuit)

Keen 5

- four things to break to access final stages
- extra Keen frame for riding elevators
- a teleporting, invincible enemy (eep)

Keen 6

- "animated" platforms (Bips)
- jump-off-able switches
- "interactive" map elements

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah, pretty nice ideas there. I don't like pretty much that Keen can climb up -- all areas have to be so high that he can't reach them..
Bounderball

Post by Bounderball »

Notice that the games has TONS of graphics!
I don't know which would I most like to mod (Including the fact that I'm a really bad "Artist"), but I got some very good ideas for vegetable replacements... Image
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

(8,) wrote: Notice that the games has TONS of graphics!
Indeed. And notice also that there are a hell of a lot of empty spaces. There's alot of potential to make mods that are even huger than the original games.

Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to make several satellite stations (so essentially it becomes some sort of subway-esque contraption)... or have multiple rockets... that could get interesting. Since it's all set using the info plane, I'd say it's quite likely. Multiplicity will make the Keen6 map elements just that much sweeter.

Also, huge water areas in Keen4 would be really classy. In the original, the water feature wasn't used anywhere near its full capacity. I know I'll be making intertwining lake systems, resulting in Border Village style levels that block the main path, but can only be accessed initially by swimming around. I presume it's possible to have more than one gate on a Border Village...

The hardest part about making a mod using Keen4-6 will be in narrowing the ideas down and deciding exactly what not to include. There are so many possibilities that even given the expanded tileset, I for one am going to have trouble limiting my imagination.

Hmm... *experiments*

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

::drool:: Pretty cool lookin'!!
Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to make several satellite stations (so essentially it becomes some sort of subway-esque contraption)... or have multiple rockets... that could get interesting. Since it's all set using the info plane, I'd say it's quite likely. Multiplicity will make the Keen6 map elements just that much sweeter.
Woah. Never thought of that, but should be possible. :)
Also, huge water areas in Keen4 would be really classy. In the original, the water feature wasn't used anywhere near its full capacity. I know I'll be making intertwining lake systems, resulting in Border Village style levels that block the main path, but can only be accessed initially by swimming around. I presume it's possible to have more than one gate on a Border Village...
Yeah, I will definitely use that element. Also, it should be possibly use those gates with any level; to set a get somewhere and finishing the level would open it. I haven't tested it, but I heard it hear someday.. Here:
viewtopic.php?t=152
You can use the gate tiles(like the ones that are blocking you from going through Border and Slug villages without beating them) without putting them on village levels. Simply place the tiles where you want the barrier, and then put a sprite on them... i think it's $C0xx but the C could be something else. xx is the level number that must be completed.