Tiles paranoia.

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
Deltamatic

Tiles paranoia.

Post by Deltamatic »

I thought about contributing some world map tiles to the CKCM, but then I looked at Keen 4 tiles as ref. The high quality scared me off and I ran away screaming.
Inspired by both the lack of recent activity on CKCM and levellass's pointing out that actually getting people to do stuff would be hard, I think I can give it a shot nonetheless. I'm still intimidated by the perfection those tiles were made with, though, and I'm wondering if there are any hints on tile-making besides the obvious "practice".
lemm

Post by lemm »

Do it do it do it! :D

I am no art expert and I am absolutely horrid at drawing anything freehand, but I can produce something that is usually at least mediocre just by copying elements of other pixel art, and following a few simple rules, like where the light comes from etc.

There's a bazillion pixel art tutorials out there, most saying the same things. I found this useful:
http://tkool.jp/fancontents/lecture/gra ... .html#dot3 (Google translate isn't really helpful, albeit amusing :p)

What I also found helpful was to turn black and white photographs into pattern dithered images using an image editor. That can give you ideas for dithering patterns.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The important thing is getting the gist of things. From there, anybody can modify and improve the graphics as they see fit. Contributing something you think is mediocre is preferable to nothing at all.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I found that even if the tile looks awfully simple compared to the original tiles, some little shading usually does the trick. Be sure to fit your tiles with the others contributed already:
1. Light should come from the same direction
2. Do the other tiles have black outlines or not?
§. Does your (depicted) object fit in size to the other tiles?