ADVICE REQUEST: Title Screen

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

re: tiles

Post by XkyRauh »

First off, this is a Keen2 mod, just as Travis suggested: i already modded Keen1, so next up is Keen2!

Secondly, Ilsoap, you're missing the genius of this: those aren't using tiles at all :-) that's the 2BMP0000.BMP file--the title screen! in the original Keen2, the 2BMP000.BMP file was this size:

(sorry for it still being Episode Null--that was the old file i was using beforehand--but it still demonstrates the original size.)

i just changed the dimensions of it a whole bunch to turn it into this:

... two things to keep in mind here:

1) since the game places the picture about 30 pixels to the right of the left edge of the screen, i've had to use a total of 4 tiles to "continue" the picture off its left edge (which is also why Keen is so far to the left in the above picture: in-game he's got a 30 pixel buffer behind him)

2) as far as i can tell, increasing the size of this bitmap hasn't affected gameplay at all--i suspect that the only time this file is loaded into memory is at the title screen, and i'm not doing much harm to anything by keeping it this size (Andy, am i okay here?) ... for what it's worth, i haven't noticed any graphical errors or misplaced stuff--it seems fine :-)

so as far as tile-consumption goes, this title image only uses 4 tiles from my palette of in-game stuff :-) w00t!

--Xky
CommanderSpleen

*mutates image*

Post by CommanderSpleen »

That's an incredible title screen. The most recent ones definitely add a lot to its depth... but it still looks like there's something missing. I think it's the overuse of greys... I experimented with it a bit and filled in the background with cyan, using light blue for the shaded part in the bottom right... adds a lot of life to it, but it might not suit the mod's theme... black worked alright, too, though. And, in fact, replacing the shading in the corner with light looks insane.

I think the main problem with much of your artwork is a lack of contrast... everything seems to blend too well. That's why the non-grey background helps.

I messed around with the headings, too... a neon-style outline does wonders with a contrasting background (against black, at least). The 'Episode Null' looks a lot more stylish with a bolder font.

Shininess in general might help to make the foreground more eye-catching... highlights on the blocks would look cool if you can find the right place to put them, which I couldn't.

The result of my experimenting.

Hope it helps some. :)

---

Anyway, in general, looks like the mod's gonna be rather surreal. Excellent. It'll be great to see KeenX style artwork taken to the next level. Keep the map level interesting and keep the trippy level design happening and you'll have improved on KeenX.
1 - That orb its angle is different from the rest of the screen.
Maybe even use it as part of the heading rather than in the scenery... or else have one of the Narlns (which rock, by the way) holding onto it or something.
2 - The title at the top is great, but it could use a bit more 3dish; you might try adding a thicker black border and giving it a bit of shade, like the dark yellow on Keens helmet.
Definitely a slightly more enhanced 3D effect would improve the heading a whole lot--up close the letters do have a 3D appearance, but the effect wears off when zoomed out. Maybe at the in-game resolution the effect may linger, though, but I still suggest enhancing it some.
Since the title screen is the least your problems good job.
Actually, one thing I've learned over the past two weeks, while once again rearranging the Shedquarters, is that to really make progress on a project when it seems to have stagnated is to grab a really simple task that doesn't seem entirely important, and put your entire concentration on it, without worrying about how the entire project will turn out. Eventually, as you jump from one 'unimportant' task to another, everything falls into place and a whole lot of the larger elements fall into place.

Woah... just went back over the screens again... go back to the blue blocks on the right hand side! They look much better than the green.

I'm getting some amusing ideas for my own mod going over all this. The xBMP000.BMP size-changing technique will come in handy. And the floating blocks reminded me that I've got a lot more freedom regarding level elements and such than most other mods due to the surreal nature of the game world I'm using.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Xky! And remember: Contrast!

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, as soon as I saw the picture I thought he has edited the main menu pic, not done it with tiles. :)
Like what I'm seeing there Spleen.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Yes, I admit, I completely overlooked the genius of your solution, Xky. Not only do you only need 4 tiles to finish off your title screen, but at least 2 (if not all 4) tiles can be easily used in your actual game.

I stand humbled.

Wait a sec... if BMPs can be changed in size like that... can the same sort of thing be done for the finale in ck1?

Oooh...
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Ilsoap: Yes. In fact, the whole finale sequence can be changed without too much trouble (locations of text boxes, drawing of different bitmaps, etc). I've got a basic document about it, but it's fairly technical and involved to do it. I can send it to you if you like.

Anyway, Xky: great work with the title screen. If you want to reclaim those four tiles, look here: http://durdin.net/andy/keen/modding/vie ... =1007#1007

As long as the game doesn't cache the bitmaps in memory (and it appears that it doesn't, otherwise you'd be getting out-of-memory errors with a bitmap that size), it shouldn't affect the rest of the game.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Andy, could you zip the info up and post it?

[Edit:] Whoa, did I hear right? You can change the size of bitmaps?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, sounds cool! Post the info adurdin!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Please Andy ... ?
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

If you insist. This is what I have written down at the moment: it's mostly notes to myself, so it might not make much sense. If anyone wants to write a program to produces finale patches, I'll explain it to them; otherwise, I'll be (sooner or later) writing some explanations about it, which you can see when they're done.
http://durdin.net/andy/keen/finale.txt
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Thank you!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Doesn't make much sense for me, but maybe later if I ever get skills. :)
XkyRauh

re: TITLE SCREEN

Post by XkyRauh »

alright, i think i've done it this time:

w00t! :-) what do you guys think?

--Xky
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Nice!

Just a couple things: the teal "zippers" in the background-they don't look quite right.

And your SGA is a little hard to make out, or maybe my comprehension has been getting lax.

Anyway, that looks great! much better than my boring monochrome black with logo and "press F1 for help" emblazoned across it...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

*drool* Definitely a great job!

Oh, and how's the mod going Grelphy? :)
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

To be honest, I preferred this one: