FleexCore - A .NET Keen level API

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
Fleexy
Site Admin

FleexCore - A .NET Keen level API

Post by Fleexy »

If you've ever had a great idea for a level editor but couldn't implement it due to the apparent complexity of level I/O, FleexCore is for you! This .NET 4.0 DLL is meant to be referenced by level editor programs.

It contains (for now) a single useful class: VortLevel. This class represents a single Keen:Vorticons level. Simply call the shared FromFile function to load a file from disk and ToFile to write any modifications to disk. The level can be modified in-memory by reading/writing individual tiles/sprites with the Tiles or Sprites property.

FleexCore can save in three level formats: FleexFastIO (not readable by Keen, but fast and simple I/O by FleexCore), Keen (the native Keen:Vorticons level format without any compression), or KeenRLEW (normal format with maximum-size-efficiency RLEW compression). The FromFile method will automatically detect the format used.

I will eventually add classes for Galaxy and Dreams levels, and maybe even the Keen graphics formats. Please post bug reports, suggestions, and possible improvements below.

Download FleexCore v1.0

I have a very interesting use for this...
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Any chance you'd be interested in implementing Keen map support in Camoto's libgamemaps? It already supports a few games (Monster Bash, Halloween Harry, Cosmo, Xargon, etc.) so it'd be nice to support Keen as well.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I'm afraid I don't know C/C++ at all, and currently am busy learning Java. If someone else can figure out how to port VB .NET code to C++ (which sounds terrible, I know), I might hand over the code.