Keen TLS

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
levellass

Keen TLS

Post by levellass »

http://levellord.rewound.net/TLS.zip

This program makes TLS files for Keen 1-3. It is still technically a beta in that I want to add stuff to it, but nit's close to the final product.

This program comes with all you'll need, the patches, tileinfo and some example files.. I'm not sure if it's perfect, but it works for me for Keen 1 at least.

To use it, you will need a 'modkeen' bitmap and a TLI file. (Tile animation will be taken from the TLI file)

I'd like feedback on this, to make sure I got everything right (Lemm, you said 4 frame animations went 1234,4123,3412... but they really seem to go 1234,2341,3412..., am I wrong in this? Because it seems to work right.) I also want to add some support for 'custom' animation (Maybe a text document that lets a user set ANY four tiles for a given tile's animation, what do you guys think?)

There's an example for people to check (It turns level 1's ground blue!) to see how things work.

Let's see some awesome stuff!
lemm

Post by lemm »

Ah ok.

Yes I just checked the purple clam thing and it is:

Plane 1: 1 2 3 4
Plane 2: 2 3 4 1
Plane 3: 3 4 1 2
Plane 4: 4 1 2 3

So you are right =)

I think arbitrary tiles would be great! I would really like to see slow 2-tile animations.

We could probably change colour palettes between levels as well.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is becoming rather a Cosmo -> Duke Nukum II sort of project isn't it? (With hopefully the same rise in quality.)

I'm interested in sloped tiles, how would you implement that? Will it be taken from the standard tileinfo file, or will there be an additional file, akin to TLA used for it? If it's the latter I could also get KeenTLS to optionally search for and use any TLA files found, though I am not at present aware of any utility that does so.

I'm adding arbitrary animation support, so far this is in a text file where a user can list the 2-4 tiles he wants a given tile to use for an animation, so you get lines like:

43: 47, 48, 49, 47
44: 50, 50, 51, 50
297: 127, 127, 82, 82

I'd like any suggestions on what people may think is an easier way to do this (Note that no, I won't make the document have an entry for EVERY tile, just the ones people want to customize, I'm not as mean as Andy.)
lemm

Post by lemm »

levellass wrote: so you get lines like:

43: 47, 48, 49, 47
44: 50, 50, 51, 50
297: 127, 127, 82, 82
I think that's the simplest way when running the program from a command line. Of course you could always alter the TileInfo program =)
levellass wrote: I'm interested in sloped tiles, how would you implement that?
What I am thinking is to put the 4 blocking planes and 2 slope blocking planes into one of the 16-bit planes. Slope blocking bit 0 means is or isn't a slope, slope blocking bit 1 means top or bottom filled. These leaves 3 16-bit planes open.

Of course the original blocking up plane will still be kept as it is in addition to the new compact blocking plane, because the number there is needed.

Finally, in two of the three remaining planes, I want to put 8x4 bit values. These will represent 8 heights of 16 possible positions (or 16 heights of 8 possible positions, I'm not sure yet) on the slope.
levellass

Post by levellass »

You'll need to find someone who can do VB then, 'cause the tileinfo program will need a major overhaul.

And the lines will be typed into and read from a text file, there's no need to enter them every time you want to compile a tileset =)