The CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Well Ghost Town wasn't in rel 4 and I hadn't told that door where to go.

Anyway, this project is going to have to wait at least another couple weeks, when Christmas break starts. Gigantic English project to do, gigantic physics project to do, and of course college applications. Yum.

Sorry to say, but me getting into a really good college is currently more important. ;-P
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

I've been playing through my levels lately, and I've been sort of re-inspired to working on Keen stuff again. (Ck456Tli I don't consider really doing Keen stuff.)

Anyway, you guys might see another release in a month or so.

(NO PROMISES!!!)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

"No promises" meaning that you might finish before you said you would? ;-) (Ugh, I hope you understood that. Took a while to figure out how to phrase it, and it still doesn't seem to make sense.)

Just be sure you finish it someday. After all, you're the CK guy!!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yay!

I shall look forward to the release with typical innocence and be heartbroken should it not occur.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

levellass (in trying to control people emotionally) wrote:with typical innocence and be heartbroken should it not occur
Nice try. ;-P
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

So, like I said in a post over at the PCKF today, I've gotten like another level and a half done since the last release. I do plan to (at some point) finish up the levels I have started and make release five. The question is: Should I make this a priority out of the various Keen things I could be doing? Should I make an effort to keep going after that? Who has played these levels and liked them? Who thought they were too hard and/or unconventional?

Well, I sort of made up my mind about one of these things while typing--I definitely will make an effort to get the release-in-progress out of the door. The main problem with continuing a level I haven't looked at in months is that I'll have to backtrack and follow the whole level, and figure out what keys you have when, etc.--it's not all there in my head like when it's only been a day since I looked at the level.

Wow, I have the sneaking suspicion that that last concept was incomprehensible--I'm listening to Fantomas' "Delirium Cordia" right now and it's messing with my head. ;-)

So, rambling post, yeah. What about it? What do you think?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Oh definitely, you should plow ahead with these; the levels you've done so far are an utter inspiration, seriously, they give me ideas in places I didn't know could think.

Level construction is a rather simple project, at least in my limited experience, I say you should make this a priority if you're sure you can get this done in a reasonable time frame; I find it's often best to do the shortest tasks first, unless your big tasks need doing.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

What the lass said.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Yeah, so my recent (i.e., today) release of Instant Carma! has enabled me to speed up level development. (Yes, the exclamation point is absolutely necessary.) I've spent pretty much the whole afternoon/evening writing that program or editing levels. (Or checking The Comatorium forums to see if any more songs on The Mars Volta's next album, The Bedlam in Goliath, have leaked yet. Only three so far. Damn.) It's been great fun!

I just updated the KeenWiki page on my level pack, saying that release five is expected sometime in November. Hopefully early November. It will have two new levels in it: Ghost Town and Not So Fast. It is really exciting to be making levels again. Writing Keen utils is fun (and useful), but there's nothing quite like level editing. I didn't realize how much I was missing it!

(Hopefully the new carmackizing program will encourage Xky and LLa to continue their mods as well. How long ago was it that those XkyKeen4 title screens were posted?)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hey! I was working on that just yesterday! (It'd be easier if I had some sort of sound editing tool, I may give up on custom sounds.)

XkyKeen 4... hmmmmn? Well I *know* Xky's working on that, it certainly has spent some time in development, but all good things take a while.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Wow! What a unique and challenging level pack!
I especially like The Atrium and Double Toggle, although The Shelley Shack is pretty good, too...
I can't wait for release five!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Freeyorp101

Argh!

Post by Freeyorp101 »

It says
"ERROR: Unrecognised version of KEEN5E.EXE"
I cannot download the patch from 1.0 to 1.4 on dosclassics.com either, it compains
404 error: that page doesn't exist

not found: /new.php?a=5keen14&b=orig&c=
...and on the downloads page
Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: Stat failed for /home/spatang/public_html/files/71395orig/5keen10.zip (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/spatang/public_html/cl/keen/dl.php on line 118
Help please? :(
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmm, spatang seems to be broken. You can also get the version patcher here.
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

This is not my kind of level pack.
While I can see you put effort in it I cant help it that I find poleclimbing trough seemingly solid walls with invisible floors under it not very fun.
The first level alone was incredibly confusing too.
I like a challenge but not when its brought in this way.

It does have some good points like the new background things are cool.

Im not saying this is a bad levelpack, Im just saying its not for me.
I cant really judge it when I havent even finished the first level (I just dont even feel like it).

Still keep up your works, its good to say some mods/levelpacks are being made to keep the community up.