Help! Advice on where to start with modding

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
bubbatom

Help! Advice on where to start with modding

Post by bubbatom »

Hi everyone this is my first time posting on here ( I have on pckf before though) and ive been playing keen 4 since i was 3 and have recently been mucking around with mods and fanmade games. But i was interested about where to start with modding as i love the series so much i would like to try some.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Hi there, glad to see you're jumping right into Galaxy modding. The first place to start is Ceilick's comprehensive tutorial. And if you're looking for some inspiration, check out the entirety of the Galaxy mods so far, almost all of them are worth a play.

If you still have any question after that (chances are you will), be sure to ask!
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Which level editor would you recommend out of Ted5, The Photachyon Tranceiver, Keen:Next, or The Omegamatic?

Thanks
Draik

Post by Draik »

I think he would recommend in his highly-biased opinion his own editor, The Omegamatic. In my entirely unbiased opinion, I also recommend it.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Yep, I'll agree with Draik on this (unbiasedly, of course ;-p). Be sure to grab it from http://0x27.com/downloads/tom.zip since the link in the tutorial is out of date. If you have trouble, chances are your problem may already have been addressed in TOM's own thread, but if not I'll be happy to help you sort it out.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

In section 1 of the keen modding tutorial where it says:

Now, open a command prompt. To do this, go to your computer's start button, and either click 'run', or in the search field type 'run' and click the first result. In the run box, type 'cmd'. Now you have a command prompt open.

You'll see something like C:\Users\UserName>

Type: cd desktop/Keen Modding/My Mod/modkeen -episode=4 -export -bmpdir="graphics"

My computer "cannot find the path specified" in the command prompt.
So any ideas?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Replace all instances of '/' with '\'.

I don't know if newer versions of Windows can handle either approach, but that looks to me like the most probable problem.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Nope. It doesnt work. I copied and pasted the command but still no luck.
Would i be able to continue through the guide with out completing this part?
NY00123

Post by NY00123 »

Oh, the command should probably be split, like the following (also using \ instead of /):

cd "desktop\Keen Modding\My Mod"
modkeen -episode=4 -export -bmpdir="graphics"

As for the quotation marks around the directory names, they may not be necessary, but it somehow feels safer for me when the are spaces within directory names.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Nope. Still not working.
Does it matter where i have my keen modding folder?
Also, do you think its my computers problem?
If so Im getting a new one soon.
But still it would be good to get it working on here thanks.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Does it matter where i have my keen modding folder?
You need to have your Keen modding folder on your desktop in order for this to work, otherwise the command line points to a place that doesn't exist. If you want to have your keen modding folder elsewhere, you will need to direct the command prompt to that location instead.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Ok. Still not working.
I'll try downloading everything again.
Do you think i should just unzip everything when i download it instead of doing it later?
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

What you download doesn't matter in respect to using and navigating with the command prompt.

As a work around, you might try to drag and drop Modkeen.exe onto dosbox.exe and then type the "modkeen -episode=4 -export -bmpdir="graphics"" command.
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Sorry. But i still cant get it working.
I tried the dosbox thing but it comes up with the "illegal command". Any other ways around?
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Please post exactly what you're typing in the command prompt/dosbox; I can't think of any reason why this isn't working other than typing it wrong. Again, the command is:

Code: Select all

modkeen -episode=4 -export -bmpdir="graphics"