Why do i need Patches? Help ME!!!!!!

Completed patches for Keen4.
KEENapplesauce

Why do i need Patches? Help ME!!!!!!

Post by KEENapplesauce »

I'm going to attempt to make a keen 4 mod, but im brand new to this and completely lost, but mostly on patches! Can someone just give me some advice on how to start modding, what all i need to do, what patches do, what they are, why i need them, or all of the above!?!?!?!? ANd what steps do i need to take? I mean im literally brand new to modding and i feel dumb as a bloog when it comes to this. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From square 1 if you can!? I feel like an idiot ! (LOL)
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

patches change certain things from the game.
-like setting ammo of neural stunners from 5 to 4.
-increase/decrease points.
-change creature speed.
patches can also change larger things (keen dash has a timer for example, some mods have infinite lives. or the maximum amount of possible levels)

to make a pat file:

open a text file.
type "%ext ck4" on the first line
type "%end" at the last line"

save as pat4.pat

now just search for patches you want, copy paste them in your pat file between the "%ext ck4" and "%end" lines.

open another text file
type "ck4patch pat4.pat"
save as mod.bat

(you can rename mod to anything you want)
(you can rename the pat4 to anything you want, but the name in the bat file and the name of the pat file must be the same.)

(hope it helps... somewhat)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Here is the patch, graphics and sounds setup for Keen 4-6: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KGSetups.zip

You'll find a patch file set up in there for you. The question is WHAT patches you want. Aside from the basic patches already there, you only 'need' a patch if you want to change something about the game, say a sprite's jump height or whether it kills Keen.

Also, I suggest this be moved to Galaxy Discussion as it doesn't actually involve a posted patch.