A Vorticon Mom problem.

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Quillax

A Vorticon Mom problem.

Post by Quillax »

So, I was modifying the Vorticon Mom, and I noticed that I created a bug. The bug is that when it shoots, its shot explodes as soon as it is created. The only changes I did to it (besides how it looks), is the size of the hitbox, its interaction with Keen (it now kills him instead of pushing him), and the number of shots it needs in order to be taken out (it now needs one). Is it possible to fix the problem without doing any changes to what I did to it, guys?
levellass

Post by levellass »

And you're sure you didn't change the Vortimom's sprite type? Usually you can fix this by making the shot's hitbox smaller, more grey, less red, especially at the furtherest edge of the shot.

If this fails it's possible to patch either 1.) Te Vortimom not to block shots (Including raygun shots.) or 2.) the shot not to hit Vortimoms OR Vorticons or 3.) (Somewhat harder) the Vortimom's shot to just ignore Vortimoms.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I thought the Vortimom's shot already couldn't harm other Vortimoms? Or are you talking about changing the collision?
levellass

Post by levellass »

No, it'll hit Vortimoms, possibly an oversight by the programmers.
Quillax

Post by Quillax »

levellass wrote:And you're sure you didn't change the Vortimom's sprite type? Usually you can fix this by making the shot's hitbox smaller, more grey, less red, especially at the furtherest edge of the shot.

If this fails it's possible to patch either 1.) Te Vortimom not to block shots (Including raygun shots.) or 2.) the shot not to hit Vortimoms OR Vorticons or 3.) (Somewhat harder) the Vortimom's shot to just ignore Vortimoms.
Well, as I've said it on the original post, I made the Vortimom kill Keen, which appears to be the cause of the bug. I knew this, because at one point, I removed the kill Keen patch (by putting a # in the left of it), and after trying it out ingame, it seems to be able to shoot it. I did some changes to the hitbox, but it doesn't look like it'll fix the problem (and I can't make it any smaller, because it'll then seem too small when compared to the sprite).

2 (although I haven't replaced the Vorticon yet, so I'm not really sure) or 3 would be nice. If you can't get either one of those two to work, then I could use the original behavior for the Vortimom, and maybe slightly increase its strength (I haven't really done any actual level designing yet, so it doesn't really matter to me).
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ok, this patch changes the Vortimom's sprite type in a different way. When you use this, delete the old change patch. This should let the Vortimom kill Keen without messing up her shots:

Code: Select all

#Keen-sprite interaction with Vortimom
%patch $7CBC $7CAFW #Kill Keen
Quillax

Post by Quillax »

I tried that out quite a while ago, and it seems to work very well! Thanks, Levellass! Sorry that it took me a long time to reply, by the way. I was busy with other stuff, and I was forgetting about this topic until recently.