REQUEST: In-level teleporting doesn't affect camera (Keen 1)

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Grandy02

REQUEST: In-level teleporting doesn't affect camera (Keen 1)

Post by Grandy02 »

With the available camera patches, it is already possible to disable any scrolling in one-screen levels as long as Keen doesn't overlap the highest and/or lowest line of tiles. However, there is still a problem with in-level teleporters.

When Keen touches a teleporter tile, the camera is automatically adjusted so that Keen appears in the centre of the screen again – where ever he has been teleported to, including places close to the level border. This needs to be disabled so that Keen can be teleported around in a one-screen level, otherwise it's unplayable.

Alternatively, it would also be fine if it is possible to make the camera static in general, never changing its initial position within a level.
levellass

Post by levellass »

So you're saying a one-screen level solution is acceptable?
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Well, I think a mod with single-screen levels like in the early platform games (or some later ones like Arctic Adventure), but with the gameplay features Keen (1) offers, would be interesting. Though I actually have something different in mind, and I'd need the teleporter thing for it.

In any way, thanks for this patch! Such a mod where the teleporter would bring Keen from one non-scrolling room to another is also worth a thought...

Is it also possible to disable vertical scrolling only? It would work like in classic platform games such as Super Mario Bros. where the screen only moves horizontally while the player character can still move off-screen "above" the level.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Simples!

Code: Select all

#Disable vertical scrolling only
%patch $34F2 $5F $5E $8B $E5 $5D $C3
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks! So, now there is horizontal scrolling like in the past side-scrolling games, could it only scroll from left to right, too? Similar to the automatically scrolling screen patch where Keen is pushed by the left screen edge, but with the camera following the player (to the right).
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

The above is very intriguing indeed! I do hope your mod comes to fruition, Grandy02. And as always Levellass, your work is much appreciated by all here at K:M/PCKF.

It would be interesting to know if there have ever been any efforts to 'smooth out' the Vorticons Teleporting so that rather than an abrupt jerky screen refresh, that there might be an animation (such as the keen exiting level animation or some use of spare frame images) and a nice soft fade out/in. A bit more like Galaxy doors which, let's face it, provide the game with a little more dignity than what us Vorticons guys have to deal with! Obviously what you've done for Grandy02 is groundbreaking for such small levels but wouldn't be the answer to all my above suggestions!
levellass

Post by levellass »

There has been no effort though it should be reasonably easy to implement. It's just a whole lot of simple additions.

I have a patch that lets levels loop, but like the auto patch sprites only appear in the first loop, then they're gone. (They're left behind in memory.)

This allows only left scrolling:

Code: Select all

#Only scroll left
%patch $34A4 $90 $90 $5F $5E $8B $E5 $5D $C3