Question: Overlay Blocking Sprites

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
troublesomekeen

Question: Overlay Blocking Sprites

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey howdy hi!

I was doing some experimenting with the "Overlay Blocking Sprites" but, having no luck, I realize I don't know how they work.

What are these Overlay Blocking Sprites I'm talking about? They are what Ceilick calls the "gates for Border Village and Slug Village" sprites. As we know, when Keen beats the Border Village in Keen4, the fence disappears and Keen is free to explore more of the world.

The same goes for the first levels of Keen1 and Keen2.
In Keen2, the player is required to beat the Bottom_Galley in order to proceed with the game (unless cheats).

Taking a look at Keen2's World Map, sprites #32769 block the way, but are removed when the level is complete. Likewise, Level 5, the Reactor Core, is required to beat because #32773 sprites are blocking the way.

Where do these #32769 and #32773 come from? How do I manipulate them? How do I properly use them? Is it possible to make more of them for Keen2? I made a brand-new (very small) world map and experimented with these sprites, but when I beat Level 1, the #32769 sprites don't go away. What do I do?

Many thanks,
~TK
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hey there!

What you're looking for is the last section here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Map

Basically take 32768 and add the level number. So for level 1 we get 32769 which is often displayed as a negative number in the editor. Level 5 is 32768 + 5 = 32773.

The sprites must be in a 2x2 block for the DONE markers to work right so they're quite limited. As such it's also not hard to simply use blocking tiles that the DONE markers overwrite.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Excellente, Levellass! This is exactly it! Thank you, thank you.
(I bumblingly was looking at this one instead: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Map_%28Keen_2%29 )