Request: When Keen gets x points he beats keen1

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Benvolio

Request: When Keen gets x points he beats keen1

Post by Benvolio »

This may be a long-shot or not, and indeed it may have already been done. In which case apologies for my ignorance.

So I've a little Keen1 project on the go, and I am a lot more interested in how many points keen collects than whether he gets the 4 items.

So I'd really like a patch which resembled KR's A New Dope except that 1) it would be for Keen1, and 2) It would use the score rather than Ankh or anything else. Like KR's IQ, it would set level completion to game completion upon collection of a certain amount of points (let's provisionally say 150).

Thanks in advance for your attention and, hopefully, a solution!
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm not sure I understand the concept of 'set level completion to game completion' A patch to make Keen win the game on getting x points should be reasonably easy to do; but it would be a simple 'get enough items and we go to the ending sequence'
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I guess what I mean by "set level completion to game completion" is that: ordinarily when Keen exits a level, he retains his points and goes back to his map. (Incidentally, I have him patched to lose all points from that level if he dies). But what I would like is that, if he reaches 150 points (or another pre-determined score), AND if he then completes a level, THEN you get the ending sequence.

However, if this is not possible, I would settle for what you suggested i.e. directly finishing the game when the predetermined score is reached regardless of subsequent level completion!
levellass

Post by levellass »

This will make Keen win the game if he exits the level with anything between 150-255 points.

Code: Select all

#Win game if exiting any level with more than 150 points
%patch $8020 $81 $3E $AACAW  $0096W $7C $1D $EB $12

A more robust patch (Where he wins the game when his points are 150-infinity) is only slightly harder.
Last edited by levellass on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Thank you so much, i can't wait to try this! I'm guessing the $96 is the '150'. I like the 150-255 range - it will incentivise the player a little bit to achieve an even higher score. I'll say no more, for now!

Edit: Unfortunately, this seems to be causing me trouble. At first I tried it in ver 1.1 (which I'm still using after all these years). So I took out the W and it was freezing up on me on completing the level regardless of score.

So then I thought I'd get with the times so I simply replaced Keen1.exe and CK1patch.exe with ones from a 1.31 mod. And put back in the W obviously! But now the patch seems to be doing nothing!

Could it be that I need to do something else to make my mod compatible with Keen1 v1.31, that I'm not thinking of??
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

The W needs to stay, man. Also pretty much all patches are made for v1.31.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I appreciate the W is necessary for 1.31. But I have the patch line exactly as Levellass posted in my patchfile and yet when I exit a level with 200 points, I go back to the map.

Just to check... is the correct CK1patch exe file size 18.2kb? The one I replaced was 10.4kb. I'm guessing the 18.2kb is the newer one?! Thanks!
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

AFAIK if you had the incorrect version of ckpatch the game wouldn't even run at all.
levellass

Post by levellass »

If this patch isn't doing anything I'm not sure what's wrong, it works fine for me in a clean version of Keen 1 with no other patches. Patches that may interfere are those which mess with which parts are needed to win the game. What other patches do you have?

EDIT: Or you may have been using the incorrect version I first posted, I copied a test patch instead of a proper one. To restate, the proper patch (Note one byte difference!) is this:

Code: Select all

#Keen wins the game if he has 150-65536 points:
%patch $8020 $81 $3E $AACAW  $0096W $7C $1D $EB $12
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

And it works charmingly!!! Many thanks! You will be credited!! Hopefully it won't be long until this little mod reaches completion.