Text patches

Completed patches for Keen3.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Text patches

Post by levellord »

A new directory in Keen 3 [and soon Keen 1] in the patch index now deals with the copious numbers of text patches avalible for Keen 3; I have added patches for *all* the text windows; and I mean ALL. This may not sound too useful, but here are some samples of what I can do:

Code: Select all

#Disable status screen [Can't check status!]
%patch $0EA7 $C3
#Disable story
%patch $A563 $C3
#Disable help
%patch $A5A4 $C3
#Keen can't configure joystick
%patch $153A $C3 
#Can't save game!
%patch $A2AD $C3
#Can't load game [starts new game instead]
%patch $A440 $C3
#Keen can't Change keyboard controls:
%patch $1931 $C3
The bonus with these patches are that it frees upa *lot* of code space. or can make the game a lot harder. As yet I have not been able to make external text files of unlimited length, but I'm working on it.

In the meantime, if its a text window, you can alter it:
http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Index/K ... 20patches/

Enjoy!
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Is there something wrong with the patch index? For some reason it all says 'cannot find server'.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

*blinks*

Odd; it was working just a few hours ago when I put it up!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

How could it make the game harder? Would it speed everything up?

Does this free up enough space to possibly adjust some of the dead sprite properties, particularily that patch that tells the sprites to stay dead?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

We can speed Keen3 gameplay up already. Basically though, if you set the controls to be real hard or odd, the player can't set them back! [Muhahaha!]

Besides, nobody *really* cahnges the keyboard controls. anyway. Blocking the window frees up enough space to do pretty much *anything* however *how* its done is more difficult. I can make any [and indeed, all] dead sprites spawn a live sprite with the space provided, but the code won't work unless I can find out where the game references the dying sprites from.

If I have a bit more time I may research this; I like the patential. [Andy, if you're reading this, some advice on a Keen 3 palette patch would be nice!]