Completed patches for Keen2.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Fun Keen 2 patch :)

Post by KeenRush »

In the original Keen 2 (without any graphic changes), try out this patch:

Code: Select all

%patch $7679 $C7 $44 $28 $6E $00
Find vorticon elite or robot and let it shoot. :)
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

funny, but wouldn't modkeen do the same?

This brings me an idea though: wouldn't it be possible to make a shooting sprite spawn other sprite's rather than bullets? I mean the elite/robot now shoots sprite X but could that nr be changed to make it shoot (spawn) say for example grunts? Then you would have an elite than constanly generates new grunts until you kill it.
That would be neat...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, modkeen would do the same, but I just wanted to show that patching can do it as well. :)

Also, I though about that exactly same idea. I have to do some testin'.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Ezjay wrote:This brings me an idea though: wouldn't it be possible to make a shooting sprite spawn other sprite's rather than bullets?
It'd be possible, but not necessarily straightforward. Remember that there's a limit to the number of sprites that can be in a map at once; if a robot was generating lots of long-lived sprites (like grunts) instead of short-lived sprites (like bullets, that "die" once they hit something), then it'd be very easy to use up all the available sprites, which, in the worst case, would cause Keen to crash (In the best case, no new sprites *at all* would be generated -- this would include Keen's shots, so you couldn't shoot these grunts). An appropriate level design could ensure that most of these new grunts (or whatever) would fall off the bottom of the map before long so the sprite limit was not reached.
XkyRauh

re: pure, unbridled evil

Post by XkyRauh »

Vortikids.

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, woah, cool to hear it's possible. :) I've plenty of ideas for this..
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Yeah i know, that sprite limit would be the issue. But remember you can use all borders to get rid of em, not just the bottom. Levelbuilder could set up onewaytrough traps for the enemy (keen cant enter them - there's an invisible door in the way) to force them to go off screen or into a death chamber (where there's contant shooting by a robot/wall gun).

How about a game in wich you can't shoot but have to spawn scrubs to get further. Or spawn robots that kill the gargs for you, or a vortimom that spawns those red balls. What about enemy's that duplicate themselves...

That's it, I just convinced myself.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

What about enemy's that duplicate themselves...
Some of you may remember a lil game called chips challenge. My favourate level was 'jumping swarm' where a whole lot of duplicating walkers would slowly fill a level and kill you if you didn't hurry. Duplicating enemies could be diabolical.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, that all sounds sooo good! :) *dreams* I've had similar ideas.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Duplication huh? *shivers*

Self-replicating sprites are the bane of many otherwise good games. Tough sprites (like guard bots, l337s, tank bots, vortimoms; oh wait, that's all the shooting sprites... =) become absolutely evil when they self-reproduce.

I like Xky's idea of l337s or guardbots shooting vortikids, though. Firts they immobilize you, then they come for you...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Imagine if vortikids' existence time could be set to finite.. *drool*
First elite shoots a vortikid ammo, the ammo comes at you but you might be able to avoid it. Anyways, the ammo will vanish automaticly in couple of seconds. :)
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Code: Select all

%patch $766C $CC $3F
%patch $7648 $03 $00
Elites & guard bots shoot vortikids that stun but zap/zot on walls!
levellass

Post by levellass »

With our current sprite patches we can do this too, and more.