Unofficialization: tiles

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The someone else who feels confident with it can undertake the task.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Just some nice grassy/ground tiles, as I'm not all that fond of the ones we've got so far. I tried to keep them in the same style as Keen 4, though the path itself couldn't be done in the same way. They should tile reasonably well for large wall sections. The only background dependant pieces are the upper left and upper right tiles, which each have one blue pixel. The edges bug me a bit, but there's no good way to handle that with as few tiles and layers as we've got.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

More stuff.

Here we have some water tiles I'm not entirely happy with, a rock, and the components for a bridge. Three types of bridge planks, though I don't expect all of them to make the cut. The middle one works the best, personally, but the others are there for the sake of getting opinions.

And here's what a bridge scene could look like. I found that the ground needs to have a border on top, or it looks very much out of place with the rest of the tiles.

And without rope, depending on popular opinion and tileset limitations.
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

Those look pretty good.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Hm... But I don't like the way the tiles mix.
The water and bridge looks nice for a Keen 1-3 style.
The ground looks nice for a Keen 4 style.
But together, I don't think they look right. Maybe make the bridge and water more detailed, or make the ground less detailed?
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

You make a good point, unfortunately. I'll see what I can do about that. It's the dithering that makes all the difference.
CommanderSpleen

They actually look bloody good! That pretty much decides it for me--2D all the way. I prefer the one with the chains so far.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

The color of realism is gray.

A little shading and dithering goes a long way. Keep that in mind, whoever else is working on tiles. And if someone wants to try touching up the water some more, be my guest.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Okay, looks better. Also, another suggestion would be to make the ropes/chains more solid looking, rather than bumpy. I think ropes look better than chains, anyway.
I'm gonna see what I can do with the water...
CommanderSpleen

There's something so haunting about that bridge that it's now stretched across my desktop.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Ok, last update for the night.

First, ground with a full border.

New and improved rope. EDIT: Newer and improved-er.

And the revamped model.

And for my last trick, hut v1! The top row are the roof tiles. The next one are the tiles that go below the roof and the main ones to make buildings. The last row is a set with an extra border on the left for the left sides of buildings. As usual, improve them if you can.

Now then, someone else get to work. ;p
levellass

Post by levellass »

Awesome! As soon as I get off this flight, I'll edit the tileset and see if I can add something.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Looking back at the first page, the woodwork already present in the tileset beats the heck out of mine. Expect a revision of the hut tiles sometime in the future.
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

Lookin' good! Would a little bit of highlight on the rock, like so:
help at all?

Edit: a bit hard to see...
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

These are all looking really good! I'm not much of a tile-drawing person, but I'm looking forward to contributing a few levels once the tileset is done. (That'll probably be in a long time, lol.)