An attempt to reorganize:

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
najawa

An attempt to reorganize:

Post by najawa »

Okay... I am going to lay out some ideas of how to organize the community mod. I will need help, and cooperation if this is going to work.

We will make up teams.

Story/Plot Editors - Create the story for a mod
Sprite Makers - Make/compile the sprites
Tile Makers - Make/compile the tiles
Level Makers - Create/Compile Levels
Patchers - Create/Patch Mod so it works the way we want it to
Editors - Checks spelling in story, veiws tiles, fixes big bugs in lvls
Beta Testers - Play the game over, and over till they get the wrinkles out

Then, we must use IM, and preset dates for project compleation.

Nomenees for the Following:

Story/Plot Editors - I'll do it... I like story ideas...
Sprite Makers - Xky Rauh (With Xky Keen)
Tile Makers - Xky Rauh
Level Makers - Benvolio (With the perdect mix of Labrynith, and Enemies)
Patchers - Levellord
Editors - KeenRush (Picky, picky, picky!!!)
Beta Testers - Elder Members of K:M (lessay 500+ posts or something)

Lol

So, that is an idea: I really would like to see this community come togather again, and work on something. I will offer ftp space where you all can upload the project, if needed, and thus the data isn't just sitting on someones hard drive collecting dust.

What say you?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Blah, making levels is the best part of the mod.. Personally I don't like the editor's job.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

I think the point of a community mod is to work on everything together, not give jobs to one person or another.
XkyRauh

totally

Post by XkyRauh »

If you're going to divide things up like that, you need to take it a bit farther. For example, sprites is a huge chunk of work--there's the dozens of frames which make up Keen alone, and then the whole slew of enemies. If you're going to assign things, make it small and bitsy. Ask someone to come up with a Keen animation which runs and stands. Then someone else can do the pogo or the jump. Someone else can add the freeze frame, etc. Leaving the entirety of sprites to a single person is a terrible idea--especially if you're asking ME to do it. :-)

Levels, like KeenRush said, are the meat-and-potatoes of a mod. Those should be divvy'ed up, maybe even split amongst multiple people. Start with 128x128 map, and let each mapper fill in a third of it or something.

The bottom line is that there are tools in the works which would allow multiple users to view a single picture and edit it at the same time--this would be CRUCIAL to the CKCM. Just be patient.

There's nothing stopping you from doing stuff on your own for the time being... ;-)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

What is needed is not so much a division of labour as a schedule.

For example; sprites. What would be good is 'The next two weeks are dedicated to sprites; such-and-such is done; this-and-that needs to be done. Now, ideas anyone? Anyone willing to do a sprite? and what?"

"Then, okay, so-and-so is going to do this [BEFORE the deadline!] and that leves that-and-this anyone else interested?"

and so on. We could then graduly move throught the different areas of the mod with a reasonably definite release date.
Benvolio

Outtakes

Post by Benvolio »

I'll do a few levels but by no means will I do all the levels! I do appreciate being nominated for level making though... thanks najawa.

I've got a few back catalogue levels / "outtakes" from some of my earlier mods, which could be remastered for this mod. Obviously I'll need the tileset if there is any change to the tile order e.g. Background tile patch.

Let's try to make this one more graphically uniform or constant than the previous two, which didn't hang together at all.
XkyRauh

well

Post by XkyRauh »

If we can get a multi-user sprite editor going... this will kick ass.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

So first on our agenda is sprites then?
XkyRauh

not

Post by XkyRauh »

To clarify, a multi-user pixel-for-pixel editor... would let us work on any graphical aspects of the mod as a team. This would help with tilesets a lot, I'd imagine.
najawa

Post by najawa »

What is needed is not so much a division of labour as a schedule.
Yes...
I'll do a few levels but by no means will I do all the levels!
Well duh... I am having trouble doing the lvls for my mods, or Armageddon II would have been out a few months ago
If we can get a multi-user sprite editor going... this will kick ass.
Man... I wish open canvas had a pixel program, but it'd be too smudgy. I am glad we are working now!

:)
So first on our agenda is sprites then?
Um... I personally would figure out a plot first.

Edit: Speaking or 'reorganize' Can Andy, or Xky make a new catigorty called "Keen Community Mod," and make a forum called; "New Community Mod," and then move this forum into the other catigory, and rename it "Old Keen Community Mod." Then, move this post, and walla!!! We can start freash!!!

:D
XkyRauh

Hmm...

Post by XkyRauh »

I don't think we need to "start fresh." Just post the new stuff in new threads, and the older threads will sink off to page 2 on their own. This message board puts an orange flag next to threads with new posts in them, and leaves older stuff with white flags--you've noticed that, right? :-)
najawa

Post by najawa »

yeah... but latley; phpBB has been screwed for me, and won't show anything... it is a bit harder. I had to write down the last post times...

:((
XkyRauh

hmm.

Post by XkyRauh »

Have you been playing with your computer's clock or something? These php boards are pretty excellent at remembering what you have and haven't read... I keep my account logged in on like 4 different computers, and it never misses a beat!
grafix

Post by grafix »

Since you use IE, try deleting all the cookies and temporary files - that tends to help.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

It would be very good to make the sprites together. That brings variety in the game. We could open a thread for that with a list of the sprites, like:

Keen walking
Keen Pogo
Keen jumping - DONE by ...
Berkeloid
Lick
Arachnut - DONE by ...
Poison Slug
Skypest - in progress by ...
and so on.

Who wants to make a sprite answers in this thread and the list will be edited. Then she/he shows his final sprites of the Keen movement/character.

Couldn't we start that? :-)