An attempt to reorganize:

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
Benvolio

pass the parcel

Post by Benvolio »

Grandy02, I presume that list is just an example and doesn't mean this is a Keen4 mod. Keen4 lowers the chances of getting a community mod together to near 0.

Anyway, I vouch for a pass-the-parcel mod, an idea that was already suggested but forgotten. Just give the mod to one person for a week, then they send it on to the next and so on. That's how Benvolilord operated. I would imagine doing that would produce better results than the patchwork method. Just a thought - you could still assign people work.
CommanderSpleen

Flexibility...

Post by CommanderSpleen »

That pass-the-mod approach has been attempted before. It didn't go far because practically all the participants ended up too busy to actually work directly on the mod at the time.

I'd prefer to have a central repository for all the graphics, tech demos and so forth, that way anyone can work on any part of the mod at any time and progress isn't dependent on one person getting something done.

It'd still work similarly to pass-the-mod in that the project gets passed around to everyone, but it's far more flexible.
Yowza

Re: Flexibility...

Post by Yowza »

CommanderSpleen wrote:I'd prefer to have a central repository for all the graphics, tech demos and so forth, that way anyone can work on any part of the mod at any time and progress isn't dependent on one person getting something done.
That's why I suggested a wiki a while back... we actually have done quite a lot story-wise, and IIRC we decided on quite a few enemies. The problem is that a lot of this stuff is buried within a stack of large-ish threads.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

There should be a topic about the current progress, with story, patches, graphics and so on.
grafix

Post by grafix »

I'm trying to salvage what little I can of the material used in this project. A lot of Forge's and KR's stuff was on commanderkeen.net, for which there are no entries in the Internet Archive. (This is because the domain squatting company that registered it set up a robots.txt file that prohibits the Wayback Machine from archiving it)